Eruption

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Does this make you nervous? Anxious? What mood do you get?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is a composite of trees & sky + a log on the trail. I was hiking in Lassen Volcanic National Park, so the idea of an eruption feels appropriate. I didn’t see it until I converted to b&w, though. The textures took the stage then vs. the color version which was quite odd looking.

Technical Details

Both photos made with an iPhone 14 Pro. Processed in ACR & PS; layer stack. Second layer blended in exclusion mode; third layer (mask to pixels) blended in darken mode:

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome, especially what mood it evokes. Technically, the “sky” is fairly low contrast, which looked right to me - I wanted it to look like volcanic eruption clouds. More contrast made it look more like what it was.

I fussed with the trees a lot to make them blend properly. There’s a bit of weirdness there - is it off-putting?


Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

  • Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Bonnie, yes this makes me uneasy. I imagine a cataclysmic event like a volcano just erupted and the ash cloud is racing towards me. The way the pine trees in the center lean in echo the mood I get from the image. The monochrome toning also adds to the uneasiness. The color of life is being extinguished.

And I just saw your image title after studying your image. Eruption is a perfect title for it! Wonderful and creative work as always Bonnie!

I see the eruption here, Bonnie. It reminds me a bit of the images of the pyroclastic flow from Mount St. Helens. The tonality you adopted supports that illusion beautifully and well as the distortion of the trees in the foreground. I’d be tempted to crop down from the top to the top of the main arch as the texture in the upper part of the image doesn’t seem to go with the title quite as well.

Not only is the eruption apparent, but I also see it as a monster headed our way. Great shot!

My immediate reaction was that I was seeing pine trees in front of that wall in Yosemite Valley that’s farther in. However, when I observed that the wall overlayed the top of the trees I realized that was not the case. I don’t suppose there a way to completely separate the two?