Eternal embrace

This is from the California White Mountains where the bristlecone pine forest is. Large format photographer, Ben Horne showed this location to me when I ran into him during sunset last year. It reminds me of a warm, eternal embrace with love (the shape of the rock). The bark of this Bristlecone pine had completely swallowed this rock and it was only this past year that the little piece of bark going over the top of the rock broke, according to Ben. This is a stack of 5 images for depth of field. This was taken after the sun had set so the light was even. I thought this would be fun to share for the weekly challenge, Bark. Thanks for taking a look.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
5 image photo stack for depth of field, Z7, 24-70mm Z lens at 49mm, F/8, ISO 100, 3 seconds for each shot. Processed in LR and PS

3 Likes

David, I love all the detail and flowing lines in the bristlecone pine set against the solid form of the rock. It does look as tho’ the “heart” rock is trying to break out and be free. Nice seen and captured.

1 Like

Oh, gorgeous! It does look like a heart. That flat light was great for bringing out the color of the wood.

1 Like

An emotion evoking image with a perfect title. I don’t see the rock as trying to break free but being lovingly embraced and feeling safe and secure.

2 Likes

That is so awesome! Trees grow around everything! They’re amazing! I love the reddish color of the bark against the pearly white, gray, and pinks of the rock which kind of looks like quartz to me. Nice capture! BTW, what is the size of that rock? Just curious about the perspective of this image.

1 Like

Excellent color, shapes, textures. The abstract nature of this image is quite pleasing. Good job!

1 Like

David, this is great! The details in the wood and the stone show very well. I get the feeling of a grinning imp peeking out through the holes. The contrast between the brown warmth of the wood and the coolness of the white stone is a fine touch also.

1 Like

Thank You @David_Schoen , @Mark_Seaver , @linda_mellor , @Bonnie_Lampley , @Jim_Gavin and @Vanessa_Hill . Vanessa, the size of this entire scene was about 3 feet wide and 2 feet high. The rock was probably 20 inches across or so and more like a boulder than a rock so it was fairly large. Probably too big big for most people to be able to pick up. Hope that gives a little bit of perspective on this.
Thanks for all the comments. I did not actually find this scene. Ben Horne was the one that showed this to me.

1 Like

The wood is really attractive. I visited the park for the first time last month and was lost as to where to find the better trees people photograph. Could you please give some suggestions. I reached the visitor center where I had a choice of a 1 or 4 mile loop. Both looked like they required a lot of up and down hill climbing. The gravel road continued beyond for tens of miles but I never followed it. You can message me if you like.