Evanescent

My son had given me the green light on this one for some time. I, however, wasn’t so sure. But I’m seeing more images popping up now in this vein. Let me know what you think.

D810, 24-70mm

rework:

1 Like

Pretty cool. I like the added interest of the spreading ripples. I do think you have one dust spot about a little more than halfway up in the image.

Igor, I really like this especially how the leaves look like another layer almost superimposed on the sky.

Oh my - I love this! I don’t know why, but lily pads rising up out of the depths, but still underwater are so appealing.

@Bonnie_Lampley, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Michael_Lowe

If you look closely you will notice that the surface of the water has small objects floating in it. Does that bother anyone? I think it bothers me somewhat. It may have been the reason why I sat on this for so long.

Yes, they are emerging new water lillies. The first after a long winter.

Yes, there are a lot of bits. When I’ve done these scenes before, I’ve cloned/erased the bits. It’s a lot of work (but not really difficult). I think if you wanted this to be more “fine art”, getting rid of the bits would be good.

I like the soft painterly look. The clouds, lilies and ripples do work well together, creating interest across the entire frame. I do find the small floating objects to be an annoyance, and unfortunately they are across the entire frame as well. To move this “not sure” to a keeper, you have a lot cloning ahead of you. If it didn’t have the ripple, I wouldn’t invest the time cloning, but the ripple would make it worthwhile for me.

One of the things I really like about photography is enjoying the wonderful art of images that I know I likely wouldn’t see or seek; this is one of those. There’s a such an understated elegance to it.

In a rather heated conversation, I’m still arguing with myself about the floating bits. They do distract from the subtleness of the rest of the image elements, but they also provide a touch of reality. I was curious to compare, here’s a version with a lot of them removed: (I cheated and used the dust and scratches filter to remove most of them.)

1 Like

Oh Thank you John. For the words and the deed. Are those filters you mention part of Photoshop? I think that does make difference. I’m looking at this on a laptop so the specks were not that visible to begin with but I imagine they are a problem on a large monitor. This image is definitely growing on me. Why is it that the less obvious ones become the ones you like the most?

1 Like

They are. Filter>Noise>Dust&Scratches

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk, @Michael_Lowe, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Mario_Cornacchione

Thank you for your comments.

@John_Williams, a bit thanks to you. I posted my rework up above. It’s amazing how much Photoshop has. This was simple to use and did the job beautifully.

Great job on the rework. But just FYI, in case you ever decide to submit or print this, you still missed the dust spec. It’s just over half up from bottom and just over half way from the right side