Waving in the water

It’s early spring and local pond waters are very clear. This is a look at spatterdock growing in the water of a small pond in a local park. I was taken by the abstraction created by the waves and reflections from the water surface. Water lilies growing in cold water show striking reds and oranges, not at all like the dark greens of summer growth.

5D3, 100-400 mm IS II @ 330 mm, 1/60s, f/13, iso 800, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Mark, I like this image a lot. I agree that the red colors are so much more interesting than the mid-summer greens. The reds contrast nicely with the green tones in the water. I also like the impressionistic things going on in the water ripples, especially in the URC. I would recommend a crop from the bottom, to eliminate the hot spots in the LLC. And I would consider adding a vignette along the edges.

If you wanted to go for a second alterate version with the “full Monet” painterly look, you might consider trying a strong “Orton Effect”. Just for fun I reworked your image to add Orton, and apply the crop and vignette mentioned above. I like the soft look Orton creates.

2 Likes

Mark, this was a great eye to see ths scene and make such a nice composition. I think this scene allows for different interpretations in post. I like your original very much and I also think @Ed_McGuirk crop suggestion and vignette are helpful.
Well done.

Mark, you’ve got an excellent studio close to home here with your backyard pond. This is a splendid image with regard to the water lily groupings…:+1:
I could go along with a bit of a darker version slightly. Ed’s work aids with that general look here. But anything to bring the light down slightly works IMO…:sunglasses:

Mark, this is simply elegant. Not easy to see something like this in the field and craft something out of it. I enjoy the slight reflection of the sky on the ripple, I think it makes the image super special. Your interpretation works really well for me. It is very “alive”.

Well seen and caught ‘on film’. I like this very much, Mark. I feel that Ed has improved an already great image. There’s a smoky look to this image which is very appealing.

This is so well seen, Mark ! Love all the swirls of the reflections and the mix of blues, reds and greens. In Ed’s Orton version there seems to be a touch more contrast, and I thnk that is good too.