Dancing in the Sun

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

This is an attempt to capture the pleasure of watching quietly as dappled sunlight moves across the rippling water of my backyard pond.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 500, 1/320 s, f/10, iso 800, tripod

This is so cool, Mark. The BG does have a wonderful sense of motion with those streaky highlights. So I would say that you succeeded in portraying the motion of the sunlight moving across your pond. It is not a deal breaker, but I find myself wishing that the one petal on the left side along with the one on the bottom was not cut off. I hope you have some more of these to show us.

A beautiful image, Mark. I like most of the reflections but the one just to the right of center at the top is enough brighter than the others that it tends to lock the eye on it rather than letting it rove through the rest of the image. The hint of blur in the rear petals of the lily help add to the sense of movement. I think you did well at capturing the feel you were aiming for.

Hi Ed, I have a couple of shots where the entire flower is included. For me, those all give considerably more emphasis to the flower and decrease interest in the rippled reflections. For this version, I feel like there’s a better visual balance between the flower and the ripples and that fits the story that I’m trying to tell better.