Water Lily

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This photo was taken in the early fall at a pond at a local botanical garden that I frequently visit under natural ambient light.

Specific Feedback

I’m interested in feedback on overall composition and what feelings the image evokes in the viewer.

Technical Details

Nikon D800; Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 at 70mm; 1/640 @ f/5.6 ISO 400.

1 Like

Lovely lilies! They always evoke a very peaceful feeling for me. Because of that, for me, I think an alternate version with a little less saturation would be good. The color in hte flowers could be preserved with the greens and blues brought down a bit. A composition that had more breathing room at the bottom for the reflection would also be more relaxed. If the aspect ratio is to be preserved, some could come off the top.

Lovely lilies and this variety with leaves that lie flat is much nicer to deal with than our locals that curl up. I agree with @Diane_Miller on the room at the bottom and for some reason when I look at this I find myself wishing for just a touch more room on the left. The greens may be accurate, but I agree with Diane that to our non-tropical eyes they don’t look quite real.

Thank you @Diane_Miller and @Dennis_Plank for your comments. I will continue to work on the colors and perhaps a re-crop as you both suggested.