Lily Pond

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hi fellow photographers,

I was inspired by a project in Nature Vision Magazine V5 and decided to use ICM to get the same feeling from that project using only colors. The photo is not actually of a lily pond, it is white flowers at the edge of a high country stream at 10,000ft elevation. I have cropped the original down to reduce excessive empty space. I envision creating a series/project of photos similar to this one taken on the same day.

As always, I appreciate your feedback!

Specific Feedback

I see what I see in this, but I would really appreciate other critical eyes on this and see if others see something interesting in this or if it just gives folks the spins?

Also, how is the processing working for you? Too bright, dark, over/under saturated?

Technical Details

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Brandi, welcome to NPN!

I do see the resemblance of a lily pond in your image. I never would have guessed it was actually white flowers set against a stream. Good vision and creativity. Yes I could see a nice series of images from this.

Technically the image looks good. The colors are in balance and the overall darker tones fit the story. Only the brighter flower in the lower right edge could be darkened a bit. The composition gives the photo tension especially with the dark areas providing some negative space and the brighter pieces closer to the edge like in the left hand side.

The image does not impart any other ideas in my mind other than looking at a lily pond. The elements do work well to tell that story though.