Lake Waban Shoreline

This intimate autumn scene was taken along the shoreline of a lake near my home. It was a very gray, drizzly day near the end of foliage season, and I was very happy to find this splash of color along the shoreline.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Looking for any critique / comment

Any suggestions for further simplification of the scene.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is a tough one, Ed. I found myself trying to find compositions in chaotic scenes like this throughout fall. The details in this are small enough that I think the two main focal points are the vertical, lichen-covered tree branches and the area of negative space to the left. I think the area of space to the left is a bit distracting, so the only option for simplifying that I’ve been able to come up with after a few minutes of staring is to crop off the left third of the image to keep more focus on how those vertical branches break the pattern of the surrounding vegetation (which obviously sacrifices a lot of resolution, which is a downside if you’re looking to print).

This is a nice batch of color. Funny, I downloaded the image and played with it prior to reading Kevin’s comments and came up with the same exact suggestion. I think the lichen covered branches provide a real nice anchor to the image and the negative space left fights that. I quite like the cropped version.

Ed,

Definitely need the larger view to appreciate. The splash of red mixed among the greens and even cyan of the lichen covered branches… the colors play beautifully together. And the branch structure is strong enough to keep my interest.

I too was thinking similar thoughts on how to simplify this before reading comments. For me, I’d even go a bit further and remove some off the bottom. The image/scene isn’t really anything about the lily pads or the pond/water, although it does serve as an anchor/base. In addition to cropping in from the left, mostly to remove the darker undergrowth/bg, but from that resulting crop also taking some off the bottom. Not so much you encroach in to the golden reeds/grass, but at least some crop. For me, the image is all about the splash of reds contrasting with the cyan-lichen branches and the angles and lines created from the interaction with the rest of the bush/tree… But then after playing with it… I’m not sure the crop is stronger, so now I’m torn. It’s like either go even tighter with a square crop with mostly the branches and the reeds OR wishing you could include a broader view. I dunno.

Lon

Well this is different! Way to go, Ed!

Honestly everything looks good to me, Im not seeing anything you could change except I would recommend you add a radial vignette to keep the eyes away from the edges a bit and draw them more towards the center, and have a more central focus in the images, mainly on those branches on the right side. Hopefully that helps you feel better about it! Cheers.

I really like your vision recently and this one is a great example. This has an impressionistic look to it. The comments have been interesting to read. I like it the way it is. For the simplified comp of branches, leaves and berries the grasses at the bottom get in the way in that they break down that pattern. So there is a nice image of the right 2/3rds just above the grasses as well, a Jackson Pollock type of comp. Actually even for the uncropped version the image would be stronger with the grass imo but there is nothing to do about that. They draw too much attention.

Thanks everyone for your comments, you have given me a number of things to think about. To be honest, I was just happy to come away with a few decent images on a miserable rainy day when the foliage was mostly past peak. @Kevin_D_Jordan, @Harley_Goldman, I think a crop from the left works and helps a bit, I have attached a reworked crop. @Eric_Bennett thank you for the comment on the vignette, I have received that comment on several recent posts and have concluded that my processing style needs to be more aggressive with vignetting, I have been using vignettes but need to take it further.

@Lon_Overacker, I’m not sure about cropping the water lilies away, I recently posted another similar image from this same location/day that had less space on the waterlilies and got several comments saying people wanted to see more of them. I do agree with you about wanting to see a wider view, but as usual, to go wider would introduce some blank gray sky, and I rarely use panoramic crops because I don’t like to print panos (perhaps an irrational view).

@Igor_Doncov thank you for your comments. I hadn’t thought of taking this all the way to the Jackson Pollock approach, but it is an interesting idea, and is perhaps the most simplification of all see attached. In the wider scene the grass actually caught my attention second after the red choke cherries, but If you take this to a total abstract, then it helps to lose the grass.

Crop from Left, with heavier vignette

Igor’s Jackson Pollock suggestion

The second, more aggressive crop is the ticket for me. Looks good.

Ed, I am late on this one but I agree with Igor and prefer the second crop to the original. I like the first crop as suggested by Eric but the left side is still a bit empty. For me these are tough scenes to compose and it’s nice to see a post that is a bit outside the box. Nice job.

Hi Ed, A little late as well. Just wanted to also add my vote for the 2nd more aggressive crop. Makes it into a fine abstract with wonderful colors, shapes and textures.

I like the subject and the composition seems to work well. I see no need for any further cropping since they all tend to simplify for the sake of simplifying and the end result is a cliché shot.

The only problem I have with this picture is the brightness of the leaves. They have a strong shine that makes it hard to view the image (especially in the large version). I feel that (even) softer light might have improved it. Perhaps some adjustments toward this end in Photoshop might help.

The last repost is the winner for me, Ed. The crop distills the scene down to the main elements IMO. The reds and greens are lush and vibrant and compliment the limbs beautifully. Great eye to spot this image among all the chaos. I love all the details and textures in the large version; real eye candy.

Thanks for the comments here everyone @Harley_Goldman, @Alan_Kreyger, @Anil_Rao, @Dave_Dillemuth, @Ed_Lowe, it sounds like the consensus is that Igor’s Jackson Pollock suggestion was a good one.

Ed, I’m glad I’m late on seeing and commenting here on this scene. It makes it easier for me…:grin:
The second or last cropped version is excellent…:sunglasses:
The only thought for any further change might be to color select pick the cyan on the main uprights and either turn it down or make it slightly warmer. Regardless, it is only another idea for a bit warmer look and not a nit at all…:thinking:

EDIT: this was a quick selection of cyan removal.