Springtime on a small pond

I regularly shoot landscapes from a squat because I like the intimate look at the foreground with the compressed middle ground and background adding a sense of place. For this shot, I was sitting at the water’s edge, hoping that the beaver would come out before dark. That didn’t happen, but the late afternoon light did a fine job of showing off the young spatterdock leaves and the red flowers of the maple tree across the pond.

5D3, 24-104 F4 IS II @ 24 mm, 1/30s, f/16, iso 200, tripod and polarizer

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice leading lily pads into the multi-species trees in the background. I like the perspective, color palette and perfectly placed cloud.

I really like the low perspective, Mark. There may be some who would prefer avoiding a 50/50 split horizon, but it works very well here, for two reasons. One, because the lily pads, the water, trees and sky all compliment one another as to not seem static. The other is the wide angle at 50/50 minimizes converging perspective and barrel distortion. Only nitpick for me is that little green stalk near bottom left edge, think you could lose it. It’s a wonderfully fresh spring setting.

A very pleasant image, Mark. The red maple is very well placed and I do think the low perspective adds a great deal to this image.