Water lily in gold

The water lilies in my favorite shallow pond at the local wildlife refuge had a hard time this year because the beaver dammed the outflow, adding a couple of feet to the pond depth, which looked like it would kill the lilies. After the dam was removed from the culvert, it took another month for the area to start recovering. In this case, I could shoot this single bloom surrounded by the golden reflections of late summer.

7D3, 100-400 @ 349, 1/320s, f/16, iso 800, tripod.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Mark: Beautiful flower in wonderful condition. My first impression regarding the comp would be for a slightly different camera angle that would place the lily lower in the frame but of course I don’t know what’s above the top of the frame. The color in the water and the varying stages of the pads are great complementary elements. Most excellent.>=))>

What a lovely shade of pink, great reflection and those ripples really bring it over the top. Outstanding image.

This is an outstanding image, Mark. I too love the color in the water, the ripples, and just the setting for this beautiful flower.

Beautifully composed, Mark, with the flower quite high in the frame and the reflection playing its part in the composition. The green-gold of the water is delightful.