New pond, water lily

When I created this topic (early July) it seemed like the end of COVID shutdowns was starting. The Delta variant quickly made that obsolete, so travel remains quite challenging. Our “travel” was to move about 30 miles, so I have to learn the natural history of a new yard (and newly built pond). I did transplant some of the water lilies and was pleasantly surprised to have them bloom even as the new pond is a woodland pond with only intermittent sunshine. The reflections are from a sunlit tree trunk. (7D2, 100-400 @ 300 mm, 1/250 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod)

4 Likes

Love the water droplets on the Lily and leaf, and the background water is beautiful!

Mark,
Looks like you are off to a fantastic start on the new pond as this is quite lovely. The water drops on the flower are a nice touch and I love the water tension around the pad as well. The graceful lines and reflections in the water are mesmerizing. Really well done!

Wonderful photo, Mark. Love the reflections and shapes/patterns of the water as much as the lovely flower. Best wishes for a smooth transition to your new place.

I agree with all the previous comments, Mark. This is a gorgeous image. I especially agree about the background water - it’s perfect, as is the soft coloring of the lily. I also like the composition, particularly the way the stem reaches to the lower left corner, creating a nice diagonal. Great job!

A really fine image here, Mark. Congrats on the new home and property explorations… :sunglasses:

Water texture and shapes make this work well.

This is lovely. I agree with David S. that the glassy, but shadowed water really makes this more than a typical lily pad photo. I could see giving it a little more room around all the edges, but it’s lovely as is, too.

@Mark_Seaver I love water lilies, and this is a lovely image. The background texture and soft light goes well with the soft color of the lily. It’s always nice to get a reflection and have a few water drops to add life.