Evening Approaches

This is an image from Packwood Lake, taken in August while backpacking with relatives. I searched quite a bit of the shoreline for comps, but struggled. I landed on this one, but would like your thoughts on the intruding branches in the upper left. Any other thoughts are also welcome.

Nikon D7100

Nikon 12.0-24.0 mm f/4.0 at 12 mm (18mm equiv.)

1.0 sec. at f/16 and ISO 100

John,

A very beautiful, quiet and serene scene. I think the inclusion of the ancient, weathered stumps was a great choice for your composition (I’m guessing beaver, rather than hand of man? - not that it matters…)

As far as the branches in the ULC, they’re not a deal killer, but would rather they not be there. the good news is that you passed my rule - and that is, if you’re going to include something, make sure it’s on purpose. In other words, it’s not just an element on the edge that you didn’t pay attention to, but purposefully included it (of course purposefully could also mean, you had no choice…)

I also am really enjoying the soft colors throughput.

Am I seeing things, or could this use a very slight CW rotation?

Lon

1 Like

Oh, this is wonderful. I just love your lake images. I think your lake images in the Cascades are probably better than just about anyones. From Spark Lake to Trillium - they’re all great. You seem to have a nack for finding the perfect foreground for them. And this is no exception. Everything is as it should be (except perhaps for the branch) - the stumps that echo the distant trees, the blades of green grass on the dark stump, the bush on the left stump, the pink sky that fits perfectly between the stumps, and the two parallel green stalks on the right to keep that area interesting.

Such a peaceful setting. In many ways these lakes are for me the best part of the Cascades. They have a real draw on you. I, too, like to follow the lakeside trails that circle the lakes every chance I get.

Other than the aforementioned branch and the light area in it’s midst I have nothing to critique about here.

1 Like

John, this is a quite lovely image, it has a very calm and peaceful feeling. I think you have a very well thought out composition, everything fits together nicely. I’m literally going out on a limb here and saying that I actually like the branch in the ULC, I think it creates some balance with the diagonal clouds in the URC. Given the chaotic nature of vegetation, I think you did a great job finding these stumps as foreground elements, they work very well. Very nice work !!!

1 Like

Now that’s funny.

2 Likes

John, I cannot add much that has not been expressed but I really like this image. I feel the foreground is very interesting and the highlight of the composition. For me the branch in the ULC does not detract from this beautiful lake scene!
Well done.

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies!

@Lon_Overacker Drawing lines between reflections, I think the rotation is correct? (One problem is that a wide angle image pitched above or below horizontal ruins this test.

@Igor_Doncov Thank you Igor; that means a lot. I too love the Cascade Lakes; they are beautiful. I’ll play with that light area.

@Ed_McGuirk That is funny!

@Alan_Kreyger Thanks for your input!

Wow! This is outstanding work. Absolutely beautiful.

1 Like