Above & Below + Rework

REWORK:

ORIGINAL:

This is from the edge of Hog Lake, in Tehama County, California, a seasonal wetland. In winter, there are interesting reflections of the gnarly oaks that grow around the water, with last seasons reeds lying down in the water. I was experimenting with combining the two.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome. What about the ULC - should those dark branches go?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, a7r3, 100-400@100mm, f/16, 1/25s, ISO 800.

1 Like

Again, you show us ways to see images that would typically be unseen, Very grateful.
The tree branches are distorted but the reeds are not, adding to the wonderment. Were trees moving in a breeze that did not affect the water surface? Whatever, the overall effect of this art is intriguing.
Just wondering, If the image were rotated CCW would the branches in the upper left get cropped away? Their presence in that corner is to me a tad distracting.

Bonnie,

I also am enjoying the distorted branches on the calm water. This reminds me of writing on decorative stationary with a background, a very nice artistic impression!

To answer your question, I would remove the branches in the ULC if it were mine, but this is really well done!

Bonnie, just had to say I am truly enjoying this series of patterned photos you’ve been submitting. The reflections, textures and designs are wonderful. This one in particular has a great abstract feel. I would agree about removing the ULC reflection only because, at least for me, I like the whiteness of upper portion of the photo and the darker leaves/reflection seem out of place. Very nicely seen and executed.

I think this is wonderful!! The reeds add a great element that goes way beyond the usual distorted tree reflections (which are good enough in their own right). I love the monochrome sepia toning, which adds to the abstraction. I think it would be stronger without the branches in the UL but they’re certainly not a major distraction.

I am also a big fan of this image. I think it’s very successful except for the branches on the UL corner. The toning is fantastic, brings out a very classic look to the image, Bonnie.

I think this is awesome, a very creative composition. And I really like the processing. The limbs in the UC don’t bother me.

Thank you, @Dick_Knudson, @Lyle_Gruby, @Alan_Kreyger, @Adhika_Lie, @Diane_Miller, and @linda_mellor for your thoughts and appreciation. There is mostly consensus on the ULC branches, so they’re out of here (will post re-work).

Dick, the tree branches were still; the distortion is from gentle ripples in the water. This was very near the shore, so there was refraction of the small wind rifflels back and forth, making that pattern.

I’ll echo that you caught a lovely effect Bonnie. Both versions work, but to make your life more difficult I have to agree with Lyle. (Since the branches approach the corner in the ur, the original feels more balanced to me.)

2 Likes