Experimental Mode: House Finch Male

What technical feedback would you like if any? All appreciated!

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All appreciated!

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon EOS 700D
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Focal Length 100mm, ISO 400, f/14, 1/200 sec, Flash Fired, tripod

I was fooling around trying to capture smaller birds in flight a while back. It’ll be interesting to see your feedback. See if my thinking is in line with yours. My thinking was to do this capture like I do Hummingbirds, flash does the freezing.

Thanks!
Jim Nall
Louisville

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is cool, Jim. It worked quite well. The bad old days of film used to use this technique. They’d haul around as much as 100 pounds of flash power supply after the first high speed electronic flashes were developed.

Did you use a second flash on the background or was it close enough for the primary flash to light it up?

Thanks Dennis! I used only one flash, though I do own two. I’ve always been fascinated with capturing smaller birds in flight, lots of attempts over the years. Quite honestly, I’m fascinated whenever I capture a Canada Goose in flight…lol. Pelicans are another favorite, fun capturing them in flight though much easier than smaller birds.

Again, thanks for the feedback…know that it is much appreciated!

Btw, I remember film quite well. Owned a couple of darkrooms over the years.

Yeah, this is tough to do. I think you caught the wings in a perfect position. Excellent detail as the background is not focused enough to make the bird pop.

I have tried this without flash and it is tough, tough to do. I like the pose of the bird and the wings are nice. Just wish the bird was a bit sharper. Still a nice frame of a challenging subject.

This is pretty great. I don’t have a backyard, so I’ve never tried this. But I’ve always wanted to. I think Alan Murphy and some others do this with multi-flash setups and a sensor that tells the camera to shoot when the bird passes through a designated area. For me, this is almost there. There is something funky going on in the background to the right of the bird, and the eye of the bird looks sharp, but I would expect the rest of the bird to be sharp as well at that focal length and aperture. I’d also move the feeder a little further away from the background so that it is less in focus and use a second flash to better light the BG (and maybe a third to better light the bird). Looking forward to more!