Red Winged Blackbird Surprise!

What technical feedback would you like if any? ALL APPRECIATED!

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ALL APPRECIATED!

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera: Canon Rebel EOS T2i
Lens: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
1/1000 sec, 375mm, ISO 400, f/7.1

This capture is from last summer on our way home to Kentucky from Nova Scotia. This was along the roadside in New Jersey. I had no idea NJ was chock full of interesting bird species! Your feed back is appreciated, it helps me improve!

Jim Nall
Louisville, KY

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Excellent exposure especially with the black plumage. You did it very good job of dealing with the contrast in the black plumage. Nice tail fan. If it were mine I would clone away the out of focus reed in the background.

Hi Jim. New jersey is actually one of the hotbeds of East Coast birding, or at least that’s what I’ve heard (never been there myself). The plumage detail is very good and I like the quirky pose. I do wish the beak weren’t quite touching the perch. Also, if you don’t mind cloning, I’d consider removing the out of focus grass stem.

The fanned tail is very nice, as is the background. I dont particularly mind the OOF stem. I agree with Dennis that it would be preferable if the bird’s beak were in front of and not touching the stem. Also, it looks like the sharpest focus was on the bird’s shoulder and the bright stem, and the head fell just a touch outside of it.