BC Chickadee

What technical feedback would you like if any? How do you like the whites and blacks?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I chose this one for the dark brown OOF weeds in the BG. Some will like this, others won’t like this BG. What do you prefer?

Any pertinent technical details: D500 600mm f4 (1/320 sec at f7.1, ISO 1250) Manual exposure setting + fill at -.7ev; Lightroom edits with camera flat profile, tweaks to levels, highlights and whites, crop for comp, Topaz DeNoise and Detail, bump in midtone contrast, and slight bump up in brightness & contrast. These guys were landing on my lens as they were jocking for position to get the best peanuts. It was a brutally cold and dark morning, but had lots of fun…Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice pose and I love the crisp winter plumage, Jim. The blacks and whites look good. The brightest part of the cheek patch looks right on the ragged edge of being hot, but that’s where it should be on this species. The sides look paler than I’m used to but I think that’s a regional variation as most birds are a bit darker in the Pacific Northwest.

The weeds add texture to the background, but I’d probably tone them down if this were mine. As you noted, it’s largely a matter of taste. I would remove the small out of focus stick coming into the bottom.

Perfect exposure and the BG has interest without getting gin the way.
At first look I thought you could just take out the left branch but it balances the photo.

A beautiful capture of this little guy, Jim.

Thank you. Shirley, you would have lots of fun at this park. I’ve had redwings, chickadees, titmice, downy and redbellied woodpeckers, and nuthatches land on me or my camera while photographing birds. Even the juncoes come in close…Jim