Black-capped Chickadee

We had sun this morning by the time I made it out to my blind, so I lifted the shadows a fair amount on this bird and did some burning of the black cap that had caught too much light and was looking more gray than black. The grayish bottom of the frame is frost covered grasses.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 451 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/320, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. I used a little Topaz Detail on the head to boost the feather structure, but left the body alone. Taken this morning at 8:26 am.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Excellent processing here along with equally fine detail. It is a little to centered. By having a slightly looser crop, you might be able to decenter and keep the superb detail.

Another fine shot with good detail, nice pose, and a nice background. David’s comment on the bird being too centered raises an issue with bird photos. Often, perched birds are angled, like this one, so there is a tendency to center them a bit, otherwise there is too much open space in front of the bird. For me, your crop works as there is good space in front and you couldn’t crop more on the right. Also, there appears to be a slight head turn to the left which helps, I feel, decrease the need for more space on the left. Anyway, sweet shot, you really seem to have gotten your techs and processing down to an art. Envious.

This a well captured image of this cute little Chickadee, Dennis. The details are really nice. The background makes this little guy stand out. Nice perch. I agree with David that you did a very nice job in post processing. Frost already, huh? We just quit having high summer temps last week. Late fall here in NC.

Hi Dennis,

Blacks and whites have nice details and your crop works for me. there’s a little string of bark fiber hanging down just to the right of the bird’s tail and it does catch my eye. Easily cloned out if so desired. Other than that minor nit, its good to see this image. Well done with the post processing…Jim

Dennis: everything works in this photo and always good to see the little birds get their due. Richard