White-Breasted Nuthatch

What technical feedback would you like if any? How do you like the contrast in this shot?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: D500 600mm f4 (1/500 sec at f7.1, Iso 1600) Flat camera profile, levels, Midtone contrast bump using curves adjustment layer set to strong light, slight crop for comp. I used strong light (Blending Mode) for the curves adjustment layer rather than soft light to boost midtone contrast and the move provided some ideal pop in the nuthatch. I removed a few OOF snowflakes that were more of a distraction than adding ambience. Let me know what you think…Jim

Terri, the hair has been removed. My guess it is a squirrel hair because it was about 5 feet off the ground. Thank you for pointing that out…Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Excellent image, Jim. I like the framing and the classic nuthatch pose. When I first opened it I thought that with a bit of snow it would make a great holiday card.

I’m not sure I know what you’re talking about with the hard light and soft light- are those blending modes for layers? I’ve never played with them, so I’m curious.

Yes Dennis, those are the blending modes and strong light gives a much bolder treatment to the intensity of the midtone luminosity mask with the curves adjustment layer. You can do micro-adjustments with the layer opacity for fine-tuning…Jim

I love watching these little birds and this is a wonderful image. Sharp detail and nice smooth background. Nice job on this!

I hesitate to even say because this is a very, very minor thing because I probably wouldn’t have seen it had I not zoomed in to look at the detail. But there is what looks like a hair above the bird’s tail that I’d get rid of if mine. Once I saw it, I couldn’t unsee it. But so small most probably wouldn’t notice it. :wink:

I would take some off the left… Excellent pose.

Classic pose in soft light. Consider a sliver off the right, but just fine as is.

Hello, Jim, lovely image and I like the typical pose in particular. The sort of mute colours are matching the bird very well. You may consider closing out the OOF branch in the upper part of the image, but other than that I cannot think of anything that’s not to like here :wink: ! Cheers, Hans

Excellent Jim. I like the pose, the perch, and your treatment of the hard and soft light. I’ll have to give that a try sometime. I wouldn’t make any changes to this image.