White-breasted Nuthatch

What technical feedback would you like if any? Its a little tight on top, but I think its OK. What do you think?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: D500 850mm (600mm f4 + 1.4TC, 1/1000 sec at f8.0, Iso 1600) DeNoise, Levels, Full Frame. It was a fun morning at a local metro-park where it 's OK to feed the birds. I had nuthatches, chickadees, titmice, and woodpeckers perched on my hand and shoulders. It is like the Galapagos where the fauna has no fear of humans. I managed to pack a sandwich bag full of peanuts to pay them for their company. The only birds that cannot be fed are the sandhill cranes. They take no prisoners and tend to attack older visitors to the park. Enjoy…Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I would prefer a bit more at the top but it’s not an image killer.

I just love nuthatches. Maybe because they aren’t prevalent where I grew up. This is a beautiful shot of their typical upside down behavior. Nice and sharp and I love the muted background. I like it. :slight_smile:

Hi Jim. I’ll echo Terri’s desire for a bit more room on top. You could help provide the illusion of it my taking some off the bottom and splitting the horizontal crop right and left to retain the aspect ratio. Superb detail in the bird and I like the background.

1 Like

Terri’s comments are spot on. IQ on the bird is excellent, and I love the BG.

Thank you for the comments. I’m going to leave this one as is for now. I think that the narrow space up at the top gives the feeling of the power of gravity pulling the bird down than with more space up at the top. I can frame it with a white edge of paper showing around the edge of the mat…Jim

Exceptional clarity and detail and a unique pose. I also love the pastel background colors. I agree with others that its a bit tight at the top of the frame but an excellent capture, overall, Jim!