White-breasted Nuthatch + repost

Seen recently in our backyard. Attracted to a tree with bark butter.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Just a classic nuthatch pose. I chose this image because of the slight turn towards me.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 400, f10, 1/1000s

1 Like

I love nuthatches - this is beautifully sharp. If it were mine I’d maybe rotate it CCW to align the tree to the edge; and I’d be tempted to tone down the dark patch at the top. The shot is so good it would be worth it IMHO.

Lovely image of the nuthatch, Allen. I agree with Mike that straightening the tree and removing the dark streak would make this image even better than it already is.

Another nuthatch fan here. I am not a bird photographer but I love when a photo allows me to explore the details I can never linger on in the woods and this is fantastic. I agree removing the dark spot would help but I can take or leave the angle. Thanks for sharing.

Oh wow, that pose is priceless. I agree with the others about the suggestions. This is such a gorgeous image, that it deserves the extra treatment. Well done, Allen.

Thanks for the comments!
Here is a repost taking out the dark areas in the background. I left the tree angle as is as I don’t think tree trunks are necessarily perfectly straight.

2 Likes

Hi Allen,

Yeah it may be just another classic pose but it’s still a pleasure to view.
Wonderful details and I like the DOF on the bird and the bark. :slight_smile:

I think the hallux toe is fascinating by being the longest one and facing rearward. I had to look up the name of that toe. :slight_smile:

Cool image!

Beautiful photo! The composition, colours, and detail are great. I too enjoyed stopping and gazing.

Oh nuthatches are so delightful! I love the little honking squeaks they make. The thing I really like about this photo is how visible its little red “skirt” is. I know they all have a touch of that chestnut color around their cute little butts, but I haven’t ever seen it quite like this. Super!

Excellent detail and an iconic pose. I like the slight head turn and gaze towards the viewer. The repost is better with the removal of the darkness in the LUC. I think I prefer the slight angle to the tree-nature isn’t a straight line .

Classic pose, characterizing the species. Love the overall colors and the vertical frame. The repost I like even more. Cheers, Hans