Fall Abstracts

I get into moods where I shoot lots of abstracts. This happened in early Sept. which had me sitting beside my favorite pond at the Patuxent National Wildlife Refuge on several warm sunny days, enjoying the early fall colors reflecting in the pond water. It’s fun to have several of these because the side-by-side comparison help to “see” the different feelings that each one creates. One thing about abstracts is that the viewer’s reaction is always personal.

1. Restful. Analogous colors are know for creating restful/peaceful moods when the colors are on the dark side. (5D3, 100-400@400, 1/80 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod)

1. Dancing. The brighter tones and the extra bit of magenta add to a happier feeling. (5D3, 100-400@400, 1/250 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod)

1. A touch of drama. The brightness, the bit of saturated blue and the two sets of ripples add drama. (5D3, 100-400@248, 1/125 s, f/6.3, iso 800, tripod)

1. A small intruder. The little bug and it’s ripples add to the brightness for another image that feels dramatic. (5D3, 100-400@400, 1/255 s, f/7.1, iso 800, tripod)

1. Upbeat. The brightness, broad range of colors and the ripples moving make this one fun to view. (5D3, 100-400@312, 1/80 s, f/8, iso 400, tripod)

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

They are all very nice abstracts, Mark. I like how you described the feelings you get with each one. I could also see some of theses as puzzles. Very enjoyable to view, and I am sure you enjoyed taking them as well.

Mark,
This is a beautiful collection of something as basic as ripples on the surface of the water. I can imagine you sitting and relaxing in the sun as you captured these lovely abstracts. My favorites are the 1st and the last because they portray different moods to me. The first is calming while the last is more energetic. I will have to give this a try sometime.

These are some fun ripple abstracts, Mark! The variety of colors and patterns are great but my favorite is #4 because of the bug with it’s own set of ripples plus the other ripples are more sharply defined.

Great collection, Mark. I like all, but I especially like the first and last. Very well done.