Fall colors are finally here

In San Francisco Bay Area we do not get too many autumn colors. Occasional yellow pops up here and there through evergreen coastal oak and bay leaf trees by the end of November. Let me know which one of these three images appeals to you the best.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Does color balancing looks right?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition feedback

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5D mark iv, 100 ISO, f/11 , 50 mm, 1.6 sec

Hi Lana, I’d say the first image is the best without question! The strongest elements are balanced nicely and the path leads me into the frame pretty well. It feels inviting to me, like I want to be there and walk down the path. I think there’s a better vignette on that one that keeps my eyes focused on the good stuff.

I think in the second image, the path is too close to the right edge of the frame and that’s causing some visual tension. Also, the left third or so of the frame doesn’t really have any strong visual elements to capture my interest or balance out the right side.

The third image could work, but the first image is just better. The strong vertical branches toward the top are distracting me and I think there’s more than enough path at the bottom, so I think a crop could work pretty well. I also added a vignette (quickly and sloppy, just for illustrative purposes) that helps focus my eyes similar to the first image. With this crop I also cloned out the yellow leaves coming in from the top.

I find the 2nd version to be better balanced. Yes, that path is close to the edge and increases the visual tension, but I find that quite interesting. It goes to the edge, then comes right back into the frame. I like the processing of the first one - the colors are a bit more vivid, but not over the top. This scene is soooo northern California!

I agree that the first image is best for the reasons given. I lived in the Bay Area for decades so these scenes look very familiar to me.

All are very nice Lana, but my preference is the second post. For some reason the two trees on the right bother me and I am not sure why. If you were so inclined you could crop them off without having the trail to close to the right edge. I hope you do not mind, but I did a rework with what I was thinking. I think the processing looks superb here and the colors are lovely without being over saturated. This is a very inviting image that makes me want to stroll down that trail. Very nicely done!

@Bonnie_Lampley, @Brent_Clark, @Ed_Lowe, @Igor_Doncov – thank you for your valuable feedback.
I re-worked horizontal and vertical images as per your comments. Trying to stay with 4:3 horizontal and original vertical ratio. Let me know what you think.

Hi Lana,

I feel for you, as I have the same - kind of - problem where I live (that’s Thessaloniki , Greece), where nearby forests are mainly comprised of ever-green pine trees… not so many Autumn colors to be found :slight_smile:

Commenting on the suggested comparison, I definitely like the first image the most, as beyond the fact that it has balance and form, it also provides a narrative. The composition is based on two elements. Color; the yellows on the trees on the left. Form/lines; The interesting vertical-V shaped path, which first goes right, and then changes direction. The composition is also well balanced; The tree trunk, the little tree, and the horizontal piece of wood on the right, counter-balancing the yellow foliage on the left.

Beyond these elements that make for a visually sound and pleasing image, this scene has a subject and tells the story. The subject is the path, with the surrounding trees only serving to frame and lead the viewer into the subject: the path. There’s also another layer to this image: a possible convergence of two paths. One being the visible one on the left, and one that is maybe hidden and implied, on the right. So this image works on multiple levels for me. The other two, do not achieve the same effect, and are just not as expressive as the first one, in my opinion.

Moving beyond the comparison, I appreciate this image because it succeeds in finding something interesting and worth pointing to, out of pretty ordinary and mundane settings. That requires a keen eye, and artistic intuition. So … very nicely done :clap:

Nikos

Hi Nikos,
greatly appreciate your feedback. I think I felt intuitively what you wrote when taking this image but would not be able to give it such a wonderful narrative ;->
Thank you!
Lana

1 Like

The second one works best for me. All look good, but to my eye, the second stands out by a large margin. I find the comp better balanced and the path is not as dominant (but still works well).

Of your two reworked images, I prefer the horizontal, the composition is nicely balanced. In the vertical I find the dark tree trunks at the top to be a distraction (they are mostly eliminated in the horizontal). And the crop of the vertical puts the path uncomfortably close to the right frame edge, which for me is a minor distraction. I n the horizontal i like the breathing room to the right of the path.

@Harley_Goldman, @Ed_McGuirk, thank you! Looks like I should keep both images as each convenes a different story. All your comments were very helpful ;->

This happens to me all the time too !!!

1 Like