Fall Colors

Since we’re headed into fall, I thought this would be an appropriate image to post. I was walking Buttermilk Falls trail late last fall. This is a beautiful park in Ithaca with trails packed full of waterfalls. On my way back to the car, I happened to look up to the top of the cliff across the stream from me and saw this scene. The sun was peering through the forest and landing on parts of this tree. I took it hand held.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any is appreciated

Technical Details

Sony aR7iv 70-200mm @ 180mm
f/18
s/1/200
ISO 1600
ACR, Photoshop and Nik CEP4

4 Likes

Hi Donna, what a wonderful scene. I think you handled the highlights well. I love how the tree angles across the frame. I can’t think of a thing to change.

Cheers,
David

I can see why you got out your camera for this moment. It has a pleasing painterly look to it–just curious how much of that is the subject matter/light, processing, or some of both.

A painterly image, with very nice lines and colors. I like the rocky FG as well, the tree stands like a statue on its base.
Beautiful capture.

@David_Bostock Thank you David. This one is a favorite of mine too. Just a reminder to always look up.

@DeanRoyer Glad you like this one. I didn’t think I did a lot of processing on this one, but I opened the .psd image to see what I did.
ACR - basic adjustments
Topaz DeNoise
Photoshop
Spot healing, mostly clean up around the bottom stones (sticks & a few leaves).
I used Nik CEP - It has 4 different contrast tools that are great at adding contrast.
I did some D&B - I lightened the areas where the sun was landing on the tree and base of the tree and darken the tree trunks where the light wasn’t hitting.
I used a plugin called Infinite Radiance created by Infinite Tools. Basically, it’s a color wheel that "Moving it towards each specific color will increase the luminosity within that range and deepen the other colors simultaneously. The final value will be stay locked in at 100% to ensure the image looks natural and balanced. " It’s kind of a D&B for colors.
Finally, I added a light vignette.

Looking at the raw file, I think the painterly look was there and I just brought it out with processing. This is a deep canyon and I caught the light at the perfect time when the low sun was hitting the tree at the right angle. Very lucky to have seen this.

@Han_Schutten Thank you, Han. We have very messy woods and lots of underbrush in our area. For me, it’s very difficult to find a forested area that makes a good image. With time, I hope I get better at finding more forest images

DONNA, A bit late reaction . What an amazing colorful image in a fine composition. No nits , just great work.

Thank you, Ben. I’m very happy you like this image. I think my compositions are improving. These critiques have been very helpful.

1 Like