Family Bonding + Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Enough/too much habitat?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Mother Trumpeter Swan *(Cygnus buccinator)*and two subadult cygnets glide along the Seward wetlands. Trumpeter Swan survival is based on a foundation of strong family bonds and crucial learned patterns of habitat use acquired by associating with older more experienced birds, usually family members.
Cygnets often remain with their broodmates through at least their first year and may regroup with their parents at the usual family wintering site in subsequent winters. These strong family bonds help cygnets continue to learn key migration routes and food resources from more experienced adults.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5 D II; Canon EH 200-400mm + 1.4x @ 560mm, f/9 @1/50 sec, ISO 100

Specific Feedback

Habitat overwhelming the birds in the image? I realize the necks/heads of the cygnets blend in with the shoreline grasses a bit . No ladder handy, the shore line was consistent all along this waterway.

Bob, I like the peaceful mood of this family shot. I am good with the amount of habitat, and it could also be nice with less. I really like the layers of grass in the BG too.

Bob, what a peaceful moment in the lives of three majestic birds. It brings back memories of a large flock of swans with many juveniles we found when I was a kid. I want less habitat. It seems to overpower the birds. Thanks for sharing.

Added: After posting this response, I saw what you wrote about swan behavior. It is fascinating. Thank you.

This works well, Bob, though if you have the pixels, I could see cropping it way down to a completely different composition with just the adult and the juvenile behind it. It wouldn’t tell the same story, but it could still make an interesting image.

As others have said, this is a wonderfully peaceful scene. No need to change anything from my view.

I love the layers and the depth in the image, my initial thought is that the birds are a little diminutive in this large & busy frame.

@mdjnewman Any closer crop makes the image too tight, nowhere for the lead cygnet to go. I did not want to remove the lead bird.

1 Like

This is a very pleasant, pastoral scene Bob. I like all the included habitat, but the swans play an important part. Especially attractive is the different shades of grass from the foreground back to the green trees.

Thank you @Jim_Lockhart for your kind words. This is a small window of Alaska at the best time of year with wonderful light featuring new plants and animals.

Hi Bob, I like this view of the family of three. Exposure and image quality look good. While I like this as composed, I could also see trying a crop from the top a bit eliminating some of the green bushes without losing the environmental aspect of the image.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks for your remarks. Other viewers have suggested additional cropping, even to the point of generating a panorama and removing one of the cygnets. My training as a zoologist tends to dictate more documentary images, yet still have them be attractive. The environment/habitat of the animals I photograph is paramount and deeply embedded in my perspective. I am posting a pan version.

1 Like