Filters recommendations

I want to know what filters types or model brand most landscape and cityscape photographers are using, i know there are three main filters commonly and widely used, ND, GND and polarizer, but which of each you suggest?

I have a CPL, 3 Stop, 6 Stop, and 10 Stop ND from Kase Filters. I like them a lot so far.

1 Like

Nice, i have those also, but i am not sure if those are the only or the best choices to have anyway, i have 0.3 up to 1.2 filters, also 3.0 which is 10 stop filter, i use that 10 stop or 1.2 or 0.9 the most, while filters like 0.3 or even 0.6 are hardly been in use.

I don’t know if CPL are all the same or the quality vary between brands, i mean how much difference i will see if i have a CPL from Kase or LEE or Hitech or Haida/Nissin for example? And i don’t know if i should stick with one brand for all filters or it doesn’t matter or won’t have a difference, i am trying to either complete and close my collection or replace to better ones, i have from different brands and still thinking about more or replacement, so maybe it is like i am starting over to see if i have the correct choices or i should do correct choice later.

When I was doing my research, those were among the best. I liked the magnetic feature vs having to carry around some other contraption. I’m really happy with them, I haven’t seen a need to explore any other options.

1 Like

Cool, but with that magnetic feature, can you stack filters like 2 or 3 filters at once?

Also what is the maximum size for that filter you use, i have ultra wide and weird non threaded lenses, so it means i want really wide or big large filters.

Yes, you can stack multiple. They have a variety of sizes up in to the 80mm+ range, not sure how you could make it work with lenses that don’t have threads.

I am using square filters larger sizes for those without standard threads, but i always have issue about how to get that square CPL then rotate it for better effect without rotating the other filters mainly GND for example, but i hope to find a way for that.

There also reversed GND, i don’t know how much effective it is in real world, well, i don’t want to collect and buy many filters and then few i don’t use and then i need something else i didn’t buy yet.

Wine Country Camera has a kinda unique filter system. You can rotate the CPL and stack other filters in front of it.

And do they have all sizes of filters? Because i need bigger than 100mm [4"] size.

Yes, they a 150mm System as well.

Great, all what i need is the filter holder and rings adapters, and maybe i will buy one or two filters as i already have something

Thank you very much :blush:smile:

I apologize for the late reply. As many of my local photography peers will attest, I am a bit of a filter nut. Here is my collection for landscape shots: Hoya polarizers (one for each lens), Lee graduated ND .6 and .9 strengths, Lee ND 6 and 10 stop (Little and Big Stopper respectively), Lee mist graduated. I am partial to Lee Filters as a brand, but although this loyalty was created by my local camera shop, I have never found a reason to disagree.
The most widely used filters on any given shoot are the .9 ND grad and polarizer.

Hello, thanks for your late reply.
I do have LEE big stopper also, and 10 stop ND from another brand, honestly i was thinking that LEE is the only player game of filters in market, but later on more brand came out and even few of them did a better job than LEE, and less pricey or almost close, that making me to think about selling me LEE filters, i bought them at 4x4/4x5 or 4x6 size, but because i have super and ultra WA lenses i changed to a larger filters, and with that i came to an issue of how to place three filters, CPL ND and GND, and how to rotate that CPL to give the best result for that large size filters.