First light

Second submission. Have ‘focused’ on B&W for a while, but had promised a color image. Being an early riser, the first peek is to the creek. The sky looked promising even while still quite dark. Thought it best to get out the door and to the dock, so went in my pajamas. :0) An advantage when you are deep in the Low Country and quite alone.

Specific Feedback Requested

Sunrises and sunsets on my home ‘canvas’ are usually quite colorful and varied. It is always tempting to bump or fiddle with the color, but have found this usually makes a mess of it, or perhaps it is a lack of skill. Any suggestions of techniques I should employ? Too loud? I feel like maybe there should have been more detail in the shadows and maybe if I’d not run there sans tripod and not in jammies…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Taken with a Leica-M 10-P and Summilux-M 35mm FLE, f6.8, 1/125, ISO 1000. Processed in LR and Luminar. Took down the highlights and upped the shadows, a tad dehazed, a little structure added locally to the water, made no changes to color or white balance.

3 Likes

Patty, what a stunning sky and reflection in the water. Just wonderful. I think the shadows look realistic to what I think I would have seen in the early morning light. They’re not blocked up. The darker line of trees at the horizon also help to accentuate the sky. A beautiful image. Congratulations.

What a beautiful morning! Impressive handheld capture! I agree with David’s comments about the shadows looking natural. Only area I might work on is the covered part of the dock…the roof has some reflection on it, so it catches some attention, then I find I’m struggling a bit to see what’s under the roof. Probably not a deal breaker and I’m pixel-peeping so there’s that.

[quote=“David_Bostock, post:2, topic:23749”]

Patty, what a stunning sky and reflection in the water. Just wonderful. I think the shadows look realistic to what I think I would have seen in the early morning light. They’re not blocked up. The darker line of trees at the horizon also help to accentuate the sky. A beautiful image. Congratulations.

[/quote] Thank you for the input. Yes. I wish I could show more of the dock and suspect had it been on a tripod combining several exposures would have been the ticket. It is about 6:30 a.m. and the sun is still well below the tree line. Once the sun breached the tree line, the drama in the sky was gone. Next time. Cheers.

Good thought Jim. Guess I have to make one with dock that shows itself as well. Back to work. :blush:

Gorgeous, with some interesting details. The flag tells me (roughly) where this is, the flight of birds is cool, and there might just be a fish rising there. But those colours are not to be ignored. Congratulations!

Fred, you are quite right, tons of fish in there from stingrays to trout, sheepshead, not to mention oysters and blue crabs. The marsh is teeming with living things. The location of this creek is in rural South Carolina, just one of miles of creeks and acres of marsh fields. Thank you for your comments.

You must have very steady hands, it’s amazing how sharp this came out for a handheld image. The sky colors look great, when you get mornings like this the colors often speak for themselves, and limited processing is usually a good way to go. I do not think the sky colors are “too loud”, in fact they are very natural looking and vibrant, but not over the top. If there is one aspect of this image that is perhaps a bit “too loud” for my taste, its the very deep black point, in my subjective opinion it makes the land and building look too contrasty.

I took a stab at a rework, using TK Luminosity Masks (Subtracted Mask D3 - D6) to try to add a bit more shadow detail. I think it helps a little.

It certainly made a difference and gave our friend Jim more to see in the pier head. :0) Not familiar with “TK”, but will go do some learning. Thank you so much for taking the time to demonstrate the possibilities. I am fortunate to be presented with these types of clouds and color often but struggle at times to properly handle nature’s force. Being ancient with not so steady hands, appreciate your reference. Regards.