First Snow + fix

New Version:

Original:

This small scene was shot near Bryce National Park. I just liked this arrangement and it’s sparse simplicity. A day later the snow was completely gone and you would never known that this existed.

Let me know what you think.

Oops. Looks like some ghosting. Will soon fix that. Stay tuned.

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, focus stack.

3 Likes

Lovely scene! I like the warm grasses against the cool snow, with its tonal sophistication.

Ghosting from a focus stack? Whatever, I trust you to fix it!

Igor, Just a beautiful winter arriving ! Ghosting ??

Isn’t that what it’s called? When two or more bracket images are not properly blended and both show the same part of the same object due to it’s movement during the bracketing process? I thought I read the term here somewhere.

1 Like

This is a very beautiful image with a very pleasing composition. I love the colour and brightness of the snow that there are still a lot of details visible there.

Igor, I didn’t know just what it was. So learned something again. Thank you !

A really nice simple image. In addition to the composition and its simplicity I like the contrast between the a little bit blue snow and the warm colors of the grass. Yes, you have some ghosting (at least it is what I call it). If you use Zerene stacker software you could retouch the stacked image chosing one of the images being sharp in the ghost area and paint that part of the image into the stacked image. But I guess @Kris_Smith is the one to give you the best advise on this subject matter!

I love images like this one. Simple and yet striking. I was envisioning it taken at a lower angle, but I think your composition is good.

Nice intimate scene, Igor. The comp is great and keeps my eye wandering around appreciating the view. I think I would clone out that one straggler bit of grass in the upper right corner. To me it’s very close to the edge and pulls me away from the rest of the image. Nice work on the Focus Stack too and yes, easy to correct the ghosting.

Lovely, Igor. Beautifully calm scene with plenty of detail in the grass and definition in the snow.

These are some of my favorite winter images to make. The sere quality of the grass against the snow is quite striking. The stacking issue can be solved easily in retouching. Glad you got out to play in the snow.

That’s certainly what I call it. Did you run the auto align before stacking the images?
At any rate, this is a very soothing and calming image for me. It’s very minimalist. I absolutely love the soft shadowed edges in the snow that are barely noticeable. It keeps the image from being too flat. You had tremendously soft light. I also love the warm and cool color tones in this image. The framing is really well done and I don’t mind that one little piece of grass in the URC at all. I think it adds balance to a rather heavy left side. Other than the ghosting, the only other thing I noticed is some snow cracks in the LLC right where the grass that is laying down is pointing. I would clone that out. Beautiful image!

This was blended with helicon focus which does the autoaligning during the rendering process.

Yes, the light was gentle that day following the night storm. That’s why the snow was still fresh.

Fixed the ghosting issue. The cloning area is a bit different but I don’t think it makes a significant difference.

I was actually surprised how poorly helicon focus rendered this stack. Photoshop actually did a better job in this case. Helicon fixed the issue in an easier manner than PS would have.

Sorry for the delay. I had to upgrade up from the trial version and didn’t have the connectivity to do it for some time.

2 Likes