First Swimming Lesson

Rework:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Down at my local lotus pond I found this 3"-long hatchling. It wasn’t moving, just soaking up the sun on top of a lily pad. Later it scuttled away into the water, and swam quite well.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D500 + 150-600mm (@350mm) 1/640 f14 ISO 2000

Some selective sharpening of turtle and blurring of BG. Denoise and tonalities.

2 Likes

Hi Mike,
this little guy is really cool. He seems to truly enjoy the sun.
I like how the turtle stands out nicely against the blurred background.

There are places on his back that look oversharpened to me. But that’s really nitpicking.

Well done!

1 Like

Turtle yoga! I love it when they do this and on a lily pad, too, bonus! Looks like a type of red-eared slider and those markings at the edge of the carapace where it meets the plastron knock me out. Like a row of eyes, which is I bet the whole point of them. So neat. The details seem a bit muddy as does some of the shell on the top (? darkening? dehaze? just crud? turtles attract a lot of crud). What a cutie patootie though and doing exactly what these little guys love to do.

1 Like

Pretty darn cute - if turtles can be cute? He looks like he’s having a grand ol’ time. A nice look at this guy.

1 Like

Great pose and beautiful subject!
I would like to see more of lily pad, it looks so good.
May selectively reduce the saturation and or illumination of BG.

This makes me smile. He/she is just so darn cute! I like Jagdeep’s suggestion of making the background less colorful/bright.

Cute and wonderful!! He looks like he is looking right at you and showing off. A little more of the lily pad is a good idea if you have it, but quite good enough as is.

This is so cute I want to scream! You really got nice details on both the turtle and the lilly pad. Such an awesome capture!

Thanks @Kris_Smith @Vanessa_Hill @terryb @Jens_Ober @JRajput @Bonnie_Lampley - I’ve desaturated the BG a bit, but there was no extra leaf for me to add. Repost above.

1 Like

Mike: excellent capture of this little turtle. It will make a very nice large print.

1 Like