First wild bat photo

Not sure how this image should be presented. There was a group of 5 who set up their cameras to photograph bats as they triggered flash set up over a pond. Our cameras were set on a specific exposure, and then we left, to return the next morning. My question is how should this and similar photos be presented since we were not actually at the camera when the photo was taken, but the bats themselves? Bat photos were taken over a 2 night span.

Specific Feedback Requested

Composition, is the background too dark or too light?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
R6, RF 100-500mm @ 200mm, F-13, ISO 1600, exposure was 20 seconds set on continuous. Tripod. I used topaz A1 to reduce noise, and darkened the BG some.

2 Likes

Wow. That is so cool. I don’t mind that you weren’t on the spot for it. Using modern technology to get this kind of thing is sometimes the only way. Bravo.

Great composition with the two bats so well separated and in focus. I might remove the small white reflections (?) by their mouths, but it’s a fine shot. I’m curious how many shots you took, as I assume you were taking long bursts every time the flash was triggered. Did you fill your memory card(s)?

The camera was set on 20 second exposure continuously. Every 20 seconds a new image was started. If a bat flew thought the trap light beam the flashes would go off and the image was made. If more than one bat came through during the 20 seconds there could be more than 1 bat in the photo. It could be going a different direction or overlap a bat photographed earlier during the 20 seconds. We used a remote shutter control with the control locked down so it continuously fired until either the batteries wore out, or the camera was shut off.
I used a 256 mb card. I did not count all of the blank exposures, but it averaged 1 exposure with bats compared to about 10 without.

Wow!! Fantastic to get two, and they aren’t overlapping! My only suggestion would be to ask if another flash at lower power could be aimed more directly at them to put more light on the faces.

No objections to technology from me! I remember when digital sensors arrived and a lot of film people were trying to say it wasn’t photography!

I love this photo! All kinds of naturalists and conservationists use this kind of technology to capture animals in the wild and doing things not normally seen. Like David Attenborough and Joel Sartore. I think it’s wonderful and something that can be used to help people see the beauty in all living things!

It is very well executed, must have taken hours in setting the equipment. Bats are very nicely placed in the frame. You may tone down the bright spots in the BG and you may remoce the small white dot, well seen by Mike Friel.

Very choice image. You did very well and the bats are very photogenic. Awesome image…Jim

Thank you all for your kind comments. I was concerned how this photo would be considered using the techniques I used,