Flaky Crust

Description:

An intimate image of colorful rocks on the shore of Lake Superior. If anyone knows how the red appears in this odd “spray painted”-looking way, please tell me!

I was finding the more I processed this one, the less I liked it so I haven’t done a whole lot to it. I like all the different textures and colors of rock to explore at all different sizes, and for me the composition is more balanced than I was expecting given what I was looking at in the field.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any and all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite?

I actually remembered to focus stack for once, this is three images.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@brentgoesoutsidephoto

2 Likes

I think the composition is just great, with the arrow of red going to the right. The finer textured lower right works for me as a balancing counterpoint to the big red stripe in the opposite corner.
Cool stuff! Nice stacking. If I must struggle for a nit, I guess the bright side of the URC stone could be toned burned/saturated.

A wonderful find, Brent. I really like the image and find it well balanced with lots to explore. I’m not a geologist, but it looks like the red is from a mineral between the layers of rock and leaches up to stain around the joints where it can get out.

I love all of the sharp angles and the complimentary colors in this image. The small, colorful, gently rounded pebbles juxtapose the very flat and sharp angled shards of rock. Tack sharp everywhere too. This really is a very cool shot.

Brent, this is a terrific look at these rock layers. The stacked layers with their clean edges, the bits of red and the scattered small stones work together beautifully. My guess about the red is that there was once a layer of iron bearing rock (or soil) above this, with rust colored water seeping down and along the cracks in this layer.

Thanks all!

@Dick_Knudson burning the rock makes sense, I’ll try that out.

@Mark_Seaver ah, I think you’re onto something - something above dripping down into those cracks makes sense and I hadn’t thought of that (I’m no geologist).

Very cool little scene. Great colors, layers and wet look. I would be inclined to clone out the rock in the URC, as I find it pulls me up there like a magnet. Otherwise, the processing looks really good. No idea on the red (I am no geologist either) but sounds like the iron theory has merit.

@Brent_Clark, @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver. Given the location (Lake Superior) iron is probably the culprit.

This is a very cool looking intimate landscape, Brent. I do like the diagonal flow of this scene and the way the smooth round pebbles contrast with sharp edges of the surrounding rock. Great eye to spot and isolate this image. Another vote for the iron theory although I too am no geologist.

That is some crazy rock formations! A first glance I thought I was looking at a remnant pile of slate shingles. I really find it an interesting and compelling image. I agree that the smaller rocks in the URC are a bit distracting but otherwise, I love the look and fell of the image!

Cool photo and geology. I find that white/red roundish rock in the URC to be distracting, because it touches the edge of the frame. I think if it didn’t touch the frame, it would be better.

The red staining likely is from iron that has oxidized and weathered out of the black slate rock. The red color represents the weathering rind around fractures where water (and oxygen) can move through. As water seeps along the fracture planes, it causes the minerals in the rock to oxidize, hence the reddish iron color.

A unique photo with lots to think see and think about, Brent! Bonnie’s description of the cause of the red color is exactly what I was thinking, only she phrased it much better than I would have :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Harley, Ed, Keith, and Gary for chiming in!

I don’t think I can clone out that upper righthand rock. I tried out a pretty bold warp, what do you think?

1 Like

I really like the composition, the varied colors, shape and the wet image. Good work.

1 Like

I like the layered/stepped effect here as well as the more orderly contrasting with the smaller pieces that are in a bit of chaos. And of course the interesting colors which are enhanced by the wet. it definitely caught my eye.

1 Like