Flight of the Vulture

As some of you already know, I love vultures and feel so privileged to see Turkey Vultures in the Pacific northwest almost every day, from their arrival in late spring until the autumn when they leave for their winter home. I’ve witnessed them feeding in large groups, and I’ve often seen parent birds patiently training their cute, curious juvenile! Although I’ve always tried capturing images of Turkey Vultures with a tack-sharp focus, I recently had the idea of using a slow shutter speed combined with slight camera movement to emphasize the grace, speed, and beauty of these magnificent birds! I can’t wait for them to come back!

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, f/16, 1/13th, ISO 100, 300mm, converted to black and white

2 Likes

A really nice surreal look at the vulture. Good sense of motion, too. Excellent.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments @Harley_Goldman! I’m glad you like it!

Oh this is nice, Vanessa. The movement is wonderfully evocative of their serene soaring.

1 Like

The motion that you’ve got here looks good Vanessa. It also captures well the feeling of graceful motion associated with watching a vulture sail past overhead.

1 Like

This really captures the grace and beauty of flying! I love it.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith ! Yes they are so serene and magnificent! I’m glad you like it!

Thanks @Mark_Seaver I’m so glad that I was able to achieve that feeling! That’s exactly what I was trying for and wasn’t sure if others would see it that way, glad it works!

Thanks @Mark_Muller glad you like it! I think one of my favorite things with photography is following a vulture in flight with my camera, I feel like I’m flying with them! It’s so relaxing.