Flying Lessons

The skies are void of Turkey Vultures, can’t wait for them to come back. This was my last Turkey Vulture sighting of the season, before they left for the winter. Mom and Dad were going through flying drills with their young ones. I think there were actually two juveniles, which isn’t common, they usually have one. I was only able to capture the one parent and young. Here’s a few pictures that I converted to black and white.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything, I really just wanted to share my sighting

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, ISO 1600, 300mm, f/8 1/1600

1 Like

A n interesting series Vanessa. The 4th photo seems to sum it up nicely, the adult flying, the juvenile and a bit of where they are.

1 Like

Nice series and the black and white works well. I would agree with Ryan, the fourth shot is my favorite. I like how the leaves are framing the perched vulture.

1 Like

I’m with the others Vanessa. The 4th image is my favorite with the framing, and the one taking off while the other sits and watches. How fun was that to photograph!

1 Like

Thanks for looking and your comments @Ryan_H , I really appreciate it. Actually I know it’s hard to tell in black and white. But the juvenile is flying in all the shots with the parent watching and encouraging. It was so funny because the juvenile had been sitting where the parent is now and watching flying going on, but then the parent landed below and hopped over and gently encouraged him/her to get on the lower branch for take off! It was very fun and so exciting to watch @Mark_Muller !

Glad you like my vulture story @Allen_Brooks .Now that I look at them again I do agree that I like that 4th frame as well! I actually had healed some branches and trees in the 2 flying closer shots, makes me wonder if I shouldn’t have…

Thanks so much for your feedback @Mark_Muller . I was thrilled to be able to watch this! This past summer has been the best I’ve ever had with vulture sightings of getting to watch their lives!

1 Like

Watching birds for an extended time really gets me connected to their world. And it is totally a world of its own, right in our midst!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s really neat to watch and kind of be a part of it! @Mark_Muller