Floating Foliage

I noticed this collection of autumn leaves floating on the surface of the water near the shore of a lake. I was attracted to the varied color of the scene, and the way the light was illuminating only a small section of the leaves, leaving some of the leaves darker.

Specific Feedback Requested

In an image like this I would specifically like to know how to emphasize the contrast in the scene, both luminance and color. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Technical Details

f/6.3, 1/1600 sec, ISO 800 with -2/3 exposure compensation.
Processed in Adobe Lightroom to enhance the color and brightness of the leaves and adding contrast to the image. Cropped to 16:9 aspect ratio.

4 Likes

Hi Ted. I think that the dark of the water and that splash of light does a nice job of emphasizing the leaves and their color. I dont think you need to change anything with it. Beautiful shot!

1 Like

I agree with @Cameron_Wilcox the contrast of the dark water with the bright leaves is nice as it is. I love this shot

2 Likes

Thanks Cameron. I kind of thought I had done enough with this photo in post processing, but am always looking for helpful advice.

1 Like

Thanks Martha. Much appreciated.

Hi Ted,

First of all, I really like this scene. After looking at it for a bit I didn’t see anything I would suggest you change. Then I read your note about getting feedback. I think this image already has very heavy contrast, the highlights of the yellow leaves are already clipping, and you have quite a few black areas, so I wouldn’t try to get any more contrast here. While I like it how it is, if anything, I would reduce the contrast a little, not increase it.

Great scene! Hope this is helpful.

Your friend,
Eric

1 Like

Thanks so much for your feedback Eric.

1 Like