Floating

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We just got back from a family vacation to Cozumel, and island off the shore of Cancun, Mexico. I didn’t take any of my camera gear…except my cell phone. While on the island, we visited a scuba shop as we were going to be snorkeling several days while we were there and we needed fins and masks so we didn’t have to rent every time we went out. While in the shop, I noticed a housing for my cell phone so I purchased it. It wasn’t cheap but it kept my phone dry and got me images that I never would have gotten if I hadn’t purchased it. We chartered a boat one day and the guides took us out to a well known turtle area and it didn’t disappoint.

Specific Feedback

I’m mostly interested in the colors. Shooting underwater affects the colors significantly and I didn’t use the red filter that came with the housing so I had to figure out what I remembered it looking like when I was there. The raw image was much bluer. Let me know if this looks natural to you or if I need to tweak the white balance.
Thanks for having a look. I appreciate you taking the time.

Technical Details

iPhone 14 pro, SeaLife Sport Diver housing, captured in Raw.

2 Likes

Another Wow!! What a cool image! I’m glad you left a bit of the surface at the top as that tells the viewer, yes, this is actually an underwater shot. And with a cell phone – who knew?

The turtle is so sharp and well lighted, and the color looks perfect to me, with great separation between the turtle and the water color, which tells me you are close to perfect on the WB.

What a wonderful opportunity that must have been! I’ve heard the diving there is fantastic.

Thanks very much @Diane_Miller . I got lucky that the dive shop we went in had a housing for my phone or I never would have gotten this shot.
I’m glad the white balance works well for you. The diving is incredible there. The corals reefs are amazing, teaming with fish, sponges, sea fans, sting rays, sharks, etc. It’s a divers dream location. If you get the chance to go, I highly recommend it.

Colors look great to me David. What a great opportunity well executed. Maybe see what an alternative crop looks like to take the turtle off center? A fine image.

1 Like

I think the colors are just fine and accurately reflect an aquatic environment. In particular, I like the simplicity of the scene as there are no distracting elements. I think a crop taking some off the left side would be an alternative composition. Nicely done.

1 Like

Great Suggestion, Allen. I’ll try that.

Thanks for your thoughts on this one, Richard. I agree about taking this off center. It’s in the works. LOL