Foggy Sunrise at Lake Poway

Sunrise image taken as the fog came, went, parted, closed, moved around. Tried to capture the great light that filtered through the fog. Your opinions are appreciated.

Nikon
Z6, Nikon 70-300 VR AFP, 1/40, handheld

I’m not sure why this image hasn’t drawn more comments, I think it’s very interesting. There are some really neat aspects to this shot. I really like how some of the golden light is hitting the water between the two trees, it adds an interesting twist to this image. I also love the way the light is adding color and glow to the fog. The implied triangle of the sun and the two trees also works well for me.

I have two suggestions for improvement, I wish you had included slightly more of the tree silhouette on the left, it feels too cut off to me. Stepping to the left would have helped, if it was possible to do. I also have slightly mixed feelings about the sun’s reflection. Since it is such a bright element that is so close to the frame edge, I think it competes for attention with the sun itself, which to me is the star of the show (no pun intended). I’m not sure a crop from the bottom helps in this regard, since you would lose a lot of the trees.

Ed

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

I agree that stepping to the left to include more of the tree would have helped the composition of the image. The tree does look cut-off. There was room to do that, I just didn’t think of it at the time. The sun reflection was a difficult one. I knew that having the reflection so close to the bottom of the frame might be a problem, but I couldn’t go back any further so I decided to keep it in. I’ll play with some other crops to see what it looks like, but I think you are correct that it may make the trees at the bottom look strange.

I did love the light and how the fog was clearing then coming back and what that did to the frame and color of the light. I also thought I would get more conversation about the image, but you never know.

Thanks again for sharing your views. I appreciate it.

Ron

That pretty much sums up my conclusions when I saw this. Since I couldn’t offer a crop suggestion I passed on making a comment. The image reeks of possibilities. It looks as though you are almost there, almost had it. Cropping the sun reflection out messes the composition by making the trees to short. They become incidental instead of purposeful. Maybe clone over the sun spot in the reflection so that the brightest part of off the frame. I still think it can be fixed.

Thanks Igor. Good idea. I’ll give it a try. Appreciate you commenting.

Ron