Food Chain

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Will any of them be successful?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A polar bear (Ursue maritimus) pursues a red fox (Vulpes vulpes), who is in turn, is in pursuit of an arctic hare (Lepus arcticus).

Technical Details

Canon EOS 10D; Canon EF 70-200mm +2x @ 240mm; f/11 @ 1/180 sec, -1 EV, ISO 100; 3 images, one for each animal, manual focus, focus stack, assembled in Photoshop; bean bag on Tundra Buggy window for support

Specific Feedback

The guide, who is the Bishop in Churchill, said “In all my years of guiding, I have never seen all three animals in the same area at the same time.” Now he has.
Whatever you wish, positive or not.

Amazing to get all three in one shot here Bob. Doesn’t look too good for the bunny.

Very interesting frame !
As for the first reaction, the fox appears to be focussed on rabbit but the focus of Bear is not visible.

Well Shazam! All those in one pix. Amazing. I didn’t know that foxes lived, and rabbits, where polar bears do…so I am being educated as well. It is a great title…fits it well. Hope the bunny is fast, and the fox is fast…they can all move when motivated, its just whose motivation is the greatest at this time… Wonderful!

Thank you @Ed_Williams for your observations. In fact, the hare was not at risk, nor was the fox. Each of them can easily outrun the animal behind them. Neither of them show any signs of apprehension.

Thank you @JRajput for your opinion. I know the bear was tracking the fox because I was tracking him when the fox first came into his range. Of course you cannot see his eyes to determine if he is looking at the fox, but it is easy to project an implied line of contact between the bear and fox by looking at the bear’s trajectory.

Thank you@[judi Hastings for your comments. Yes foxes, both red foxes, arctic foxes and arctic hares live with the bears. Life is a survival exercise.

Wow Bob, you were in the right place at the right time, with a camera! Never knew polar bears hunted fox either, thought they just went for the seals. Next time, please arrange for the bear to glance over his shoulder, would love to see his eyes :wink:.

Thank you @ Jim_Lockhart for your kind remark. Polar bears are widely considered to be carnivores as their diet mainly consists of ringed and bearded seal. However, during summer months they have been known to eat algae, berries and eggs. I have found that wildlife do not follow directions suggested by photographers. Here’s what he looks like face-on.

1 Like

Wow, just an awesome shot Bob, thank you!