Fast Food

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Ever see one of these? Not common in the lower 48.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

An arctic hare (Lepus arcticus), one of the largest living lagomorphs, pauses briefly from his foraging to check the surrounds for threats, including the ominous large “eye” of the camera lens. Encountered i in Wapusk NP, Churchill, Manitoba.

Canon EOS 10D; EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 400mm; f/11 @ 1/500 sec; -1EV, ISO 100; Beanbag support on window frame of Tundra Buggy

Technical Details

emphasized text
Canon EOS 10D; EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 400mm; f/11 @ 1/500 sec; -1EV, ISO 100; Beanbag support on window frame of Tundra Buggy

Specific Feedback

Whatever you believe you would do to improve the image

The image appears to be a bit too bright. I reprocessed to show more texture in the snow.

My first impression is that it’s really cold and the snowshoe hare? is not happy to be out in the open. Certainly a challenging shot to get a decent exposure on both the animal and the snow. Nice job!

Thank you @ Ron Meeker. Especially challenging to expose correctly since, as a film-trained photographer, I exposed for the black and processed for the whites (ETL), which tends to blow out the whites in digital captures. It wasn’t until later that exposing to the right (ETR) became the standard for digital.
The Arctic Hare is uniquely designed for Arctic weather. Since hares do not dig burrows like rabbits do, they are exposed to the weather 24/7/365.