Indefatigable

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Is the sense of movement/speed obvious?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

In the late afternoon a spirited Arctic fox (Vulpes lagopus) cavorts in the snow around the camp, tempting the dogs, out of the field of view, to chase him. This game persisted until the dogs were exhausted.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 10D; Canon EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 400mm; f/5.6 @ 1/4000sec, -1 EV, ISO 400; Handheld

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or not.

Yes, sense of movement is visible, but legs are not in very good position.
I believe, it’s an old photograph, since you mentioned Canon 10D, EF 70-200 mm with 2X teleconvertor is not able to deliver the quality especially shooting action.

Thank you @JRajput For you comments. The images from Churchill were made during November, 2004. T he Canon 10D was fairly new at that time. It was the first digital camera Canon made that produced as good or better images as the Canon EOS 1N film camera I was using. The EF 70-200mm was Canon’s longest telephoto zoom at that time. Paired with Canon’s 2X III the reach was doubled. All great glass. I am still using them. I have since added a 200-400mm + 1.4x built in when it was released. Terrific glass.
I think 1/4000 second shutter speed was more than adequate to stop the action with clarity—zoom in on the fox’s eye—my focus point, and the snow/crystals forming a contrail off his straight-as-a- stick tail. At f/5.6 there is not much depth of field so it may appear a bit soft in front of and behind that narrow plane of prime focus. His feet are off the surface, similar to the feet of the horses in Doc Edgerton’s experiment that showed horses do get all four feet of the ground when running.