Forest gold (with new crop)

Taken down to a 16:10 ratio -

A little snow makes for some interesting fall photographs. I stopped by a bit of woods I’ve visited before and I like this view with the path which is really a seasonal stream that is dry.

Specific Feedback Requested

General feedback on processing or composition is welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for some work to balance tonalities with a nice S curve, adjusted wb and used the Calibration panel to mange color in the trees. Some sharpening & texture. Transform to stand those trees up. Ps to remove some distractions here and there.

3 Likes

Wonderful early snow scene with some leaves still on the trees. No real suggestions except to wonder about a little less FG.

Was this from the great October snow last week? Marquette actually just got rain and a lot of wind. Snow and fall colors are just some of those things that are so much fun to capture. Seems like the y don’t overlap as much as you might expect. I wonder how the photo would look with a little less foreground? I think I understand why you composed the way you did, but the trees are the more interesting element to me.

Thanks @Diane_Miller & @Cameron_Wilcox - I wondered about that foreground, but thought maybe a connection between the fallen leaves and the ones that hadn’t yet was easier to draw. I guess it wasn’t. So a new crop goes up and it works better. Thanks.

Oh and yes, this was that little bit of snow from mid-October. Nice while it lasted, but too early for serious winter weather yet.

1 Like

I like that Kristen. I think you still get the same fallen leaves/leaves in the trees contrast but a little more concentrated.

1 Like

Love the pano crop. Very cool scene.

Thanks @Cameron_Wilcox and @Bonnie_Lampley - leaves are down, tamaracks are past, too, so I’d like a bit of snow like this again. Enough to be interesting, but not to stick around. Not yet.

Hi Kristen,
Really awesome image and I agree with the others that less is more in the foreground. Personally I would cut even more than you did in the 16:10 rework.
Love this, especially the tighter crop.

I like this image a lot, especially the 16:10 crop. I think you could even go for a 16:9.