Have a ramble (+ rework and 2 landscape views)

Different crop as per suggestions -

Wider view for consideration -

A blended view? Maybe? Good effect or not as good as the portrait orientation?

Every year I get a little twisted up about fall photography. We’ve all seen and marveled at the iconic photos that we mentally align with the season. The red barn in the field with the bright orange and yellow trees. The mountain forest turned color in fantastic glory. The trees reflected in a still pond or lake. Rich reds, bright yellows and luminous oranges. I love those and have made some of them myself, but really, how much does it add to the story of fall? Why am I on this infinite repeat?

This year I decided to leave that expectation behind. If I came across it, sure, I’d shoot it, but I didn’t set out to find it. Instead I looked deeper and to the sides and hopefully I’ve done something different with regard to my own autumnal images.

This one particularly is interesting to me since it features no tree foliage, but ferns and is sort of framed, if you will, by blocks of wood. The trail I was on was a big loop of about 4 ½ miles and I chose to go anti-clockwise despite the fact that the informational signs went the other way. That’s because it was morning and the light would be better for this little boardwalk I knew was there. It goes through a cedar swamp and one of the two leaning trees is indeed a cedar and the other is a hemlock or white pine, I forget. Cinnamon fern is common in cedar swamps and that’s what I’m pretty sure these are. They turn gorgeous color in fall and it isn’t my first time noticing or photographing them. But enough of that.

Specific Feedback Requested

Given the context, what are your thoughts? Does this break away sufficiently from the normal crop of fall photos we get? Apart from that how does it work as a photograph? Is it indicative of the season?

Technical Details

Tripod & CPL

Lightroom for everything including some masking to emphasize the “tunnel” aspect of this photo. WB tweak to keep things from being muddy. Some work in the HSL & Calibration Panels to further the color separations and luminance. Some texture, clarity & sharpening.

1 Like

I’m not usre what to say about this one Kristen. I really like the autumn detail of yellowed and fallen foliage and also the texture of the wooden walkway planks, but the deep perspective through to the skinny trunks in the far background are what I like best here. You seem to have got so much detail in that background with your G9.

For me it is really those big foreground trunks that make me want to duck. I can’t decide whether they are important for the deep perspective that is what I like most about the image, whether they compete a bit much with the really interesting centre of the walkway beside the ferns, or whether they maybe block the image a bit. I do like the tunnel effect though. Either way, they certainly create a feeling, and that to me is what a photo should do.

Kristen, a great story and special image.About a way of photography ! I like the mood in it.

A lovely scene, Kristen. The subdued colour palette and soft, diffuse light really capture the autumnal feel. However, I am with @Phil_G that the strongest element in this picture is its depth - the boardwalk framed by the two diagonal trunks leading me to the yellow ferns and finally, following the curve of the boardwalk to the “skinny” trunks in the background. For that reason I’d be tempted to crop from the bottom to 4:5. I feel like too much on the bottom holds my eye back from going where it naturally wants to go.
P.S. I’m pretty sure the trunk on the left is Hemlock. Hemlock and cedar are sympatico and, along with birch, often found together (sometimes very close together indeed.)

Thanks to @Phil_G, @Ben_van_der_Sande & @Kerry_Gordon for your valuable input. I knew this would be a weird one and so I’ve tightened up the crop and added a wider view for comparison. At first I thought the wider view with the brighter sides would be an issue, but I kind of like it. I left the wb a bit warmer on that one, too. Thoughts?

A little late on this one, Kris. I am totally enjoying it as a wonderful perspective on fall images. Also, agree with @Kerry_Gordon on the crop. Great idea and very nicely seen and captured.

For me the wider version is a different picture and lacks the drama and depth of your original. I think the cropped version is stronger than the original for the reasons I already mentioned.

1 Like

thanks @linda_mellor - I’m glad it resonates with you and comes off as a bit distinctive.

So, to belabor the point, Kerry, I have put a second landscape version up that doesn’t feature open forest on the side. Does it have a similar effect as the vertical orientation?

1 Like

I believe that I prefer the second image from the top. It’s a little bit tighter at the bottom while allowing more headroom at the top. It’s the top of the image that my eye goes to so that’s where I like more room in the second image. This does say fall to me with the fallen leaves on the ground all being in prime coloration and also that main fern. I do also like the third image but I lose a little bit of that tunnel effect that I love about the portrait versions. A unique spin on fall colors, Kris.

Thanks @David_Haynes - I think Kerry’s crop suggestion was good and I’m glad you think so, too. The 2nd portrait version has more balance and flow now.