French Alps

I am looking for any comments on composition and processing. This was a single shot 1/25 at F18 ISO 200 70 mm

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

That’s a pretty spectacular image. I’m not sure how you can improve this. Great light and weather conditions.

John that is some killer light on that mountain with flowers in the foreground. But I am feeling a disconnect between the two. The mid area is lacking - could just be me. What I might try to do is work with the trees to make them more pronounced in a leading way up to the mountains? Increase the exposure and bring some hi lights to the tree tops that are already a little lighter. There may not be enough separation to use luminosity masks but some dodging ? Just throwing out suggestions. And I probably would crop out some of the right side to balance it some. Anyway that’s my thoughts. But that light on the mountain is very cool.

Beautiful light on the mountain, John. I am with @Greg_Stokesbury that there is a little bit of a disconnect between the foreground and the background. I also feel that the image is too tight overall. I am not quite sure how I feel about the choppy water.

Beautiful light and a beautiful scene! Obviously the light and the mountain are the stars of the show here. The flowers and water are nice elements, but I’m afraid the water doesn’t support the mountain and light. I think it might not be long enough vertically in the frame to really lead the eye.

Could a simple crop from the bottom and right be enough to make it a stronger composition?

1 Like

John, this is very dynamic image, with great light and clouds in the sky. I don’t see a significant disconnect between the foreground and background in terms of the composition. I actually like all the interesting layers that this image has. For me the composition works fairly well. I do wish there was a little more breathing room in the water below the grass in the right half of the image, it feels a little cut off there. And I think the other’s comments to crop a bit off the right will help balance the image better.

But as @Greg_Stokesbury points out, the mid-ground mountain is so different in luminosity (darker) than either the sky or the foreground water/grasses, that it does feel a bit off, which may be part of the disconnect the others have commented on. To my subjective taste the foreground and mid-ground are also slightly too cool in Color Balance, especially given the pretty warm light above. While I think this is a very nice image as presented, some tweaking to the processing of the mid-ground would make this an even better image. I would suggest trying to dodge the mid-ground mountain thru luminosity masks as Greg suggested.

John
For such a beautiful image is no critique . As I may give a comment. I like it still more when there is a small peace below up to where the grass on the right is pointing in the water, is taken off. So there is a bit less water in the frame. The whole image becomes more in balance for my eyes. Hope to have been of any help.

Igor, Greg, Adhika, Brent, Ed, and Ben thank you all for the time you spent giving me advice on this image. Great suggestions. While I do like the darkness of the mid-ground I did a little dodging to lighten it a tad and make the trees more distinct. I also added some warmer colors to the water which I think helps connect the foreground and background. Having a trained eye reviewing my image is invaluable.
John

John,

Beautiful alpine landscape. I love this as presented in terms of comp, color, etc. The midground - yeah, it’s a bit “bulky” but I don’t feel it’s disconnected - I see a foreground, mid ground and back ground, giving this scene depth and dimension.

I can see Ben’s observation about the little cut in the water at the bottom, but again, no biggie.

The ONLY wish I have is that there was more included all the way around; it feels a little tight. I’d be willing to bet money though as you mention this was captured at 70mm - and you had a 70-200mm lens on and you couldn’t go any wider… :wink: I could be wrong though.

Excellent!

Lon

Lon.

You are exactly right. I was actually shooting a stream and mountain in the background in the opposite direction when I turned around and saw the light on this mountain. I swung around and clicked off a few images but before I could switch lenses the light faded on me. Thanks for the comments.

John