Frosty Morning Light

Hi all, I have been sitting on this image for about a month and have made small changes to it very time I open Lightroom. This was shot about an hour and a half after sunrise during a frosty morning. I was driving around exploring and what attracted me to this was how the light was softly hitting all the frosted trees and lighting just one face of this mountain. Since I took it I kind of knew it was going to be a black and white. First explored with a regular black and white but then it occurred to me to completely darken the blues to make the contrasts between the blue sky and white trees stand a lot. This gave the image sort of an infrared look. I like it but I’m not completely sure about it. I feel that something is not right with it. I know there is haloing in the top trees and I’m planning to correct that in PS if I eventually finish this image. For me this image is about the textures and the contrasts.

Any comment is appreciated. :slight_smile:

P.s. I’m also attaching the color, out-of-camera, version for comparison.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jose,

I think you made a good choice with the b&w. While I think the light is softer in the color version, the light and contrasts of the b&w make for a stronger image. And of course with b&w, you have great latitude in taking the processing further; ie. deeper black in the sky maybe. Also, I think the mono tones also keep that LLC corner from being a distraction, or maybe perhaps just out of place in the color version.

Like this very much.

Lon

1 Like

Jose, the B&W version is very powerful, I love your choice of the inky black sky. The shadow areas in the trees have nice detail, great job on the B&W processing. As you mentioned, the texture in those trees is fantastic, and the high contrast look here really makes the texture stand out. In terms of composition, i like the arrangement of the smaller ridgelines at the bottom, they nicely balance the image. This image works very well for me, I wouldn’t change anything.

1 Like

Really fine looking image. I love the conversion, excellent choice. No suggestions here, just really enjoying this one.

1 Like