Frozen river

Hi, I recently went out to photograph a lesser know section of a river after a snow storm. The weather was mild (about 0 C) following a cold snap (-20 C) that froze part of the river ( Rivière du Nord, Qc, Canada). We had cloudy sky that day and it was the perfect occasion to test a new lens ( Nikon 70-200 f2,8, FL ). I shot 3 frames and focus stacked in PS to get a sharp image front to back.

I made a b&w version and decided to apply a bluish tint.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated. The blue tint I applied in post may or may not be to your liking but I would appreciate your thoughts on this specific aspect. Thank you.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I shot 3 frames at f11, ISO 64, 0,5 sec. on a tripod. I used layers and mask in PS to blend all 3 pictures into 1.

1 Like

Hi Richard, this is such a beautiful, peaceful scene! I love the mounds of snow on the river rocks and the icicles in the background. It looks great in black and white. In my opinion I think whatever you did with the blue tint was very tasteful because to my eyes or maybe screen it looks very natural. It might add more depth to the black and white. Great capture!

Those ice formations are pretty interesting, and a perfect subject for B&W. I love the blue tint that you applied in processing this image, it makes the water very rich looking, and certainly enhances the winter mood. Nicely done Richard. My only suggestion would be to burn down the snow in the LRC, since it is brighter than the snow mounds on the boulders.

This is a fine look at a winter wonderland. I am not seeing any blue tint, so whatever you did is working just fine. It looks neutral to my eye.

Hello Vanessa, thank you very much for your visit and comments. Take care.

Hello Ed, thank you very much for your suggestion. You are absolutely right and I will apply your suggested edit.

Hello Harley, thank you for your visit and comments. Bye for now.