Full House

What technical feedback would you like if any? Does the contrast look OK?–very flat but bright lighting.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 +1.4TC (1/640 sec at f7.1, Iso 640) Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, reset Black Point with Levels, crop to 8x10. I removed some OOF branches on the RH side and dodged the eyes to make them more apparent. This was taken late this afternoon near downtown Ann Arbor. The great horned owls built their nest in a rotted snag over a footbridge on the Huron River. The owls generated quite a crowd and have been a hit for the armchair naturalists of Southeast Michigan. This is a work in progress so I expect some changes from the viewers. Thank you.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What a great opportunity! That “treehouse” is awesome. The point at the top that curves in even adds a lot. Critique-wise, I do wish we could see the other owlet’s head, but in my experience, owlets almost never do what you want them to! I love the one peeking through on the right, but I think you need to run a levels adjustment or set a black point specifically for it. There is some fog or some kind of cloudy film over it. As for the adult, I’d select just the body and do a levels adjustment. I think it needs some contrast. Finally, I’d lighten the right side of the adult’s face, either by dodging or using a levels adjustment only on it. Although, I’m not sure how much more lightening the right side of the face can take. It is already a little noisy. That’y my two cents, anyway.

Great catch!
I agree with all Lyle suggests.
With a bit of tweaking, this will be a killer image.
Well done!
Sandy

I also agree with Lyle’s suggestions and Sandy’s assessment that it could be a “killer image” with some tweaking. Really an excellent shot. Looks like three birds (am I incorrect?). Do you have any images with all three facing you?

In general I agree with Lyle’s suggestions, though I don’t think the owl’s face needs adjusting. There’s very little difference between left and right and I like some side lighting effect. You might try the local adjustment brush in LR with Dehaze on the face peeking out, though a levels adjustment in PS does much the same thing.

A very cool image. Sounds like it calls for a return trip.

Hi Jim,

I think I would reduce the highlights in both the owls and the tree trunk and tease a tad more contrast there as well. Great encounter.

Thank you. I took over 600 images and this one is not the best one of the bunch. I will be making another post with the next version having both owls staring at the camera. And I followed everyone’s suggestions to come up with a better look at this family…Jim