Hoot Owl

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

For a long time now I’ve been hoping to get a clear shot of a Great Horned Owl down at our local wildlife refuge. EVERY time I see one it’s always in a very thick, brushy part of a tree. I was about to give up hope yesterday and literally right at the last moment of the visit I was able to get this one right at sunset with only one branch to remove. Yay! D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/640th, f 9.0, 550mm, ISO 1250, AI Clear, cropped to 2937 x 3563

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

It is a dandy. Your persistence paid off. I really like the nice late afternoon light. Perhaps a slight shift to the left?? I certainly do not see any signs of a branch being removed.
It is amazing how sometimes it seems like they have been waiting for you. Well done.

Really nice. I love the warm sunset tones on the feathers. I am going to have to give AI clear a shot. I have it but have little experience with it.

Dave, very well done. It is very hard to get a clear shot of these guys 95% of the time. You have done really well here. The late light works really well to accentuate its face. I would consider reducing the contrast on the OOF branch on the UL corner by just a tiny amount to make it similar to the big OOF branch behind it.

Congratulations, Dave. Beautiful light, excellent detail in the owl and a nice head turn.

Such a nice look at this beautiful owl, Dave. Persistence does pay off. Sweet light and a nice head turn.