Hooter House

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was informed of an active great horned owl nest nearby and managed to find it waaaay up in a large pine affording me no good shooting angles so I got a nearby landowner to let me use their property to let me look for a better shooting stance on a nearby steep hillside. I managed to get this eye-level shot without breaking my neck. I’ve been wanting to get a decent shot of a GHO nest for years and, up until yesterday, I’ve never found a nest site that offered any kind of a shot. I intend to go back later when the owlets have grown some feathers to see what I can get.

Specific Feedback

Cropping?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/2500th, f 9.0, 1260mm, ISO 4000, cropped to 2555 x 1968

The crop works fine for my taste, Dave. I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with the juvie that’s facing us. The adult and the tree both look in crisp focus, but the juvie almost looks pixelated-particularly the iris of the eye, which really confuse me. Maybe they are that way. I know downy plumage in owls never looks in focus to me-it’s so fluffy and undefined, but I’ve never noticed the eyes having a peculiar look before.

I love the setting of this home Dave. The pine tree and the nest are great. Mom is great, and I love the fluffy owlets. Cool image.

Congrats, Dave on final getting the view you wanted. The crop works for me since it is a nice view of their environment. The lighting seems perfect; not to bright or dark. I did notice the focus on baby owl in the front, but I chalked it up to the tilt of his head? Not sure about that, but the image is spectacular! Great shot.

Hi Dave, cropping looks good to me and I really like seeing the eyes of the owls here. I’m wondering if the focus hit on the pine needles instead of the birds as that shutter speed and aperture should render them quite sharp. Still, a fine capture and well documented.