Those Eyes

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve been shooting this family of owls for the past couple of weeks and although there are three youngsters, I’ve only managed to get two of them in a frame with mom there as well. This is from a week ago and they look like they are wearing wigs. Maybe they are European? :slight_smile:
Anyway, I find the juvi’s at this age to be quite cute looking, wigs or not and although it’s only been about a week since this shot was taken, they have mostly lost that head mask. I went to shoot them this morning and they just are not as cute anymore although I’m still trying to get all three of the juvi’s in a shot.
I posted two images both processed and captured differently. Please let me know which you prefer and if there is anything you see to make the image better. Thanks very much for taking the time for a quick look.

Specific Feedback

Which do you prefer?

Technical Details

Z9, 400mm 2.8 lens with built in converter engaged @560mm, F/4, ISO 4000, 1/400th, Hand Held, Manual Exposure, (yep, I forgot my tripod) :frowning:

1 Like

David, what a superb capture you’ve achieved with this image! The way you’ve framed these owls nestling in the tree’s embrace is nothing short of enchanting. The natural texture of the bark contrasts exquisitely with the softness of the owls’ feathers, creating a beautiful interplay of textures that draws the eye. And those piercing yellow eyes! They’re captured with such clarity that they seem to be looking right through the lens, creating a connection between subject and viewer that’s both striking and soulful. Amazing shot! :clap:

1 Like

I love the way the youngsters’ plumage matches the tree, David. You mentioned two images, but I only see one. Did you forget to add the other?

1 Like

Just gotta love this one, David. An excellent family scene. The arch or opening in the tree sets up a perfect frame of the gathering here. I do not do any avian at all but I can surely appreciate the effort and expertise to capture any images such as you’ve accomplished here… :sunglasses::+1:

@David_Haynes although both scenes work as presented I do prefer the original horizontal. The vertical seems to have a lot of none story telling space over the owls heads. Seeing the scene again with the group it gives another meaning to the “Family Tree”… :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for catching that, Dennis. I fixed it. Not sure why the second image didn’t download when I posted. It should be here now though. :slight_smile:

@David_Haynes these are excellent. I love the way the tree frames them, and I really love the one eyed peek from the second owlet. Amazing clarity too. I think I prefer the portrait orientation a bit better than the landscape.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the second version, David. The first one was excellent, but the second gets an A+ from me. That added tree has so much character in itself that it’s worth including and it leads right down to the owlsand makes them slightly more of a surprise. You might consider brightening the eye on the half hidden one just a tiny bit as it seems slightly more subdued than the others. However that might be what you want, since it makes the second owlet a bit more of a surprise.

1 Like

Super capture, David. I prefer the first one as the horizontal feels much more cozy to me.

1 Like

I really like both versions, but the vertical shows more of their environment, so it is no. 1 for me. What stands out for me are the eyes. The great horned owl I have been watching has yet to produce her babies, at least for me to see. Excellent.

1 Like

Hi David, Terrific captures! I really like both a lot. I’ll go with #1 as my favorite as I like the closer look at the owls and it still conveys the context of the tree for me. All looks good to my eyes. Well done!

1 Like

I also enjoy both. Although we have owls around my neighborhood, I hear them but I don’t see them. They are a rarity in this area. These images are very cute, nicely details,

1 Like

@Mike_Friel , @Ed_Williams , @Paul_Breitkreuz , @Allen_Sparks , @Jim_Gavin , @Saundie , @David_Schoen , @Dennis_Plank,
Thank you for your thoughts on these images. It seems that there is no consensus on portrait or landscape although I’m partial to the cut out in the tree showing the bark above the owls. However, I very much like the close up view of the landscape version as well but not quite as much as the portrait. Thanks again for your thoughts on this one.