Funghi at Muir Woods

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found a lot of funghi while hiking in the Muir Woods Nature Reserve.

Technical Details

Contax RTS III, Zeiss Vario Sonnar 4 / 80 - 200 + Extension Tube, Fuji Sensia 100

Scanned with Nikon Coolscan 5000ED, Photoshop processing, full frame

Oh this is my jam all right. Single 'shrooms in moss with lots of OOF background - really nice. I think you have the focus in an interesting place - the back side of the cap and the far bit of moss on the edge. I think it works really well since the most interesting detail is in those places. I might have tried to frame the mushroom in the dark bit of background to its left, but it’s not a deal breaker. Removing the bits of needles and leaves on the moss to the right could have simplified the composition in a nice way, too. Gardening is all part of the macro/microscape experience. I keep some plastic tweezers in my bag for this kind of thing since my fingers are usually too big!

Another very good image from your archives, Cay-Uwe. I like the depth of field you used and your point of focus works well. I tend to garden my low level macro images as well,mostly to get distracting foreground and background elements out of the way. If you’re good with chopsticks, they’ll work well and you can use them as stakes to tie back stray vegetation.

A very nice one. A good scan too, you have a good scanner but from my experience scanning slides is not so easy (and I did lots of them in the past).
Maybe I would make the nice yellow/green BG a little less bright.

By the way, your image is in AdobeRGB color space. For most browsers no problem anymore, but it is safer to post in sRGB.

Right, I decided to use that color space because it is / was more suitable for printing. Many of my scans have been used for books, brochures, etc.

Thanks for your comments.

Keep the master in as big a color space as you can – with a film scan, Adobe RGB would probably capture all of it. But when you export for web posting, convert to sRGB for more accurate viewing in different browsers. The tiny bit of gamut you lose will hardly be noticeable, but what some browsers will do to the color and tonality of a wider gamut color space will be very noticeable, and not good.