Gerbera Glow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here is another Fractalius/Topaz “Glow” rendition.
“Artsy” filters are a lot of fun to play with, and bring out another way of visualizing things. I know many people don’t appreciate unconventional stuff like this, but think “out-of-the-box!”

Specific Feedback

all comments welcome

Technical Details

the old D300
105 macro

Exposure Time: 1/320 sec
F Number: f/5
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 200
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
fill flash

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

HI Sandy I really like this photo. I have those flowers in my yard too… did you do anything to get the two distinct colors or is that how they were. :slight_smile:

I noticed you used spot metering versus matrix. I have never tried that when taking flower photos. What are the advantages to using that setting? Just curious.

Nice job, sue

Very nice Sandy. I like the subtle pop you use of the filters give the flowers-it’s essentially undetectable but quite effective. And you’re right about the “creative” filters, they are fun to play with. Sometimes I’ll just pick and image or three and doodle with them.

We used to have a woman in the camera club (she moved away) who loved the Topaz creative filters to the point that she overheated and fried her laptop once! But she did come p with some awesome results.

I like this one – a nice arrangement of colors with the whites standing out nicely. I wonder if the purples could do with a tweak more contrast? (Maybe just the larger one?) The detail in the LL corner pulls my eye a little. It could be less noticeable for me if the darks there weren’t so dark.

I didn’t care for one aspect of the mums but never commented. I don’t see that issue here. I’ll go back there now and mention what bothers me as I don’t know if it’s something you worked for or just a perhaps unintended consequence of the filters.

Love the composition you found here. The color differences really add to the composition too. Is this a single image?

Yes, single shot. I haven’t learned stacking yet
Thanks for the comments!

These are so vibrant and joyous. I stopped buying them as annuals because I just seem to kill them off. :roll_eyes: But I am always tempted. Not familiar with the Topaz tools, but this looks artistic, yet still basically like what it is. I would be tempted to see what bringing some highlights back into the dark pink ones would look like. They seem a tad flat, but it could be the angle. Are you still shooting with the D300? I know another person here still uses a Canon 90D because it works so well for his purpose. I’m keeping a 2018 vintage camera because I like it, too. GAS is a bane!