3 Mums

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

From our garden. A little filter work from my bag of tricks (Topaz glow, Redfield fractalius) … is this allowed?

Specific Feedback

all comments welcome

Technical Details

Nikon D850
105 macro
Exposure Time: 0.4 sec
F Number: f/22
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 200
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Metering Mode: Multi-segment
Exposure Bias: -1 EV

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

You can do anything you want with your photo absolutely. I don’t use other Tozpaz products apart from Sharpen and Denoise so I’m not familiar with what you did, but it had a dramatic effect. The flowers look artificial, like black and white photos of early movie queens; a little too perfect to be real, but mesmerizing.

Beautiful presentation, Sandy. The way the foreground leaves are lit and the background are dark made me think you used a little flash on this one. To me the lighting of the leaves adds so much to the image. I’d love to know how you got it.

Definitely not an artificial plant! I was a caretaker for my mother her last few years with dementia, and could rarely get out for long. She always loved flowers, and had a very extensive garden. We always had fresh flowers in the house.
I got more into macro during this time, and these were a subject begging to be used. Photography surely saved my sanity during this time.
Mums in a vase, taken on a bright counter with black cloth behind, tripod. Extraneous leaves cloned out.
A usual photo , but with Topaz glow and Factaluis filters. Actually, I think this was one of many with this treatment that I posted years ago when the Photo Art category was still intact.
I’ll post a Gerbera image with the same treatment in a few days.

Raising and photographing flowers is definitely a healing activity. I really like the idea here but something, presumably the filters, has washed out the bright flowers and flattened the light on the leaves.

You have such a nice look into the bases of the petals but I long to see more depth/contrast there. Looking more closely, it’s mostly on the front flower – maybe it’s just blown out. I wonder if going back to the raw file before the filters were used could give a somewhat different look.

But I’m not familiar with the filters so am not sure where the look is coming from.

I’m betting this would be a good choice for B/W without the filters!